Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Undergrad Question: NeuroRad vs. NeuroSurg

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by NroMjr, Mar 9, 2007.

1. NroMjr

Pre-Medical
    I'm a premed majoring in neuroscience. I want to go into either neuroradiology or stereoactic and functional neurosurgery. Other than the obvous (NS = stress, more hands on, more physically demanding; NR = less stress, less hands on, less physically demanding), does anyone have any insight as to how the rewards of each balance? My primary goal is to do go into neurological research and practice medicine in a challenging specialty. And I realize I'll be exposed to a lot once I get to med school and the best choice will be clear, but for now does anyone have any advice?

2. ScooterBanks

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    NSGY and neuro-radiology are two completely different things. Neither is neccessarily better than the other, you just need to pick which one you feel works for you the best.

The basic questions you should ask yourself are "Do I want to figure out what is wrong with the patient and have someone else fix it?" or "Do I want someone else to tell me exactly what's wrong with the patient and then go fix it myself?". If it's the former then do radiology and if it's the latter do NSGY.

Seriously though dude. You are in college...who cares about what you will be doing 5+ years from now. The two most important questions you should be asking yourself now are "where am I going out tonight?" and "how am I going to hook up with her?". There will be plenty of time to do medical stuff later. Enjoy the beer and the ladies for now.

3. IheartCaffeine

IheartCaffeine I really do.
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think the OP was referring to INR, interventional neuroradiology. Nevertheless, I will second the comment about not worrying about this until you have to. Seriously, so much will change between now and when this question will become relevent for you why waste time and effort thinking about it. I'm a second year medical student and I still feel like I should be studying and worrying about the boards rather than ask questions about specialties let alone subspecialties.

4. OP
    OP
    NroMjr

Pre-Medical
    Actually, I'm a female (and straight), so no ladies for me. Thanks for the advice, though. I guess I'll figure it all out in due time.