Quantcast

Undergrad Research in Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

James105

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello! I am a junior at a liberal arts college in MO. I really enjoy it, however, our little school does not offer research opportunities. Even the surrounding region is sparse when it comes to research. I would like to attend a MPH program right after graduating undergrad and following up with the Peace Corps. I don't think I'll be very competitive if I don't get research though. Last summer I research in a psychology laboratory at Harvard and I hope to do something similar this summer for public health. However, I am having a lot of difficulty finding any research or field experience for undergraduates. I have delegated this summer as research time. So my question is this: Are there any organizations, schools, or governmental programs for undergraduates to gain experience in research or field experience? Are there any websites, outside of Idealist, that have listed opportunities? Are there any options to do this in England, either at Oxford or in London? Thanks so much

thedelicatessen

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's wonderful that you are so interested in research. There are SO many summer research opportunities available for undergrads that pay pretty good stipends too. Practically every major institution offers some kind of summer program. Have you googled the subject? WashU may be a viable "local" option as well.

What kind of project are you interested in doing? If you're interested in healthy policy, perhaps you could intern at a pertinent organization in Washington, DC. Ultimately, though, the topic of your research is not as important as the quality of your mentor and the critical thinking skills you will develop. Good luck!

James105

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your insight! I have done a bit of googleing and have found very few opportunites specifically for undergrads. Do you know of any paticular universities that offer public health positions?

My specific interest is in International Public Health so, just like you said, any research will be helpful in building a foundation for the future. Also, working with an NGO would be helpful. The problem is that I have no specific experience, therefore, its not too easy to find a position. So I am looking for an organization or university to give me a shot. If you have any more thoughts, I would really enjoy them.

Some schools of public health have summer programs for undergraduate students (I know Harvard and Columbia do). I would check different schools, If you don't find what you're interested, maybe you can talk with a faculty member or advisor at your school about creating an internship opportunity that is focused on your interests

James105

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Do you know the website for the Harvard program?

James105

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has any ideas for the summer specifically for Boston and England I would really love to hear them!