Undergrad research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have kind of an opinion question because I'm not sure what to do. I worked as a RA for senior studies projects last semester with this professor. It was a really good experience working with the student in his group. I volunteered to work with him and his group again but this time, the students do not really have projects I would like to work with. So, is it better for letter of reccomdendation purposes to have a professor say "I worked with this student with research for 2 years" or is it okay to do different projects with different professors. Will it hurt to not have as strong as a research background with one professor as opposed to spreading my research work with two professors? Thank you for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

hey Psychology 76. I think itd be okay for you to have 2 different persons that you're working with. it shows that you're trying to get as much research experience as you can. :love:

I've worked on 4 different projects with 3 different labs. When I went on my interview today, the professors seemed really pleasantly surprised by the array of work I've done and the diversity in experiences (i've worked in infant cognition labs, treatment labs, neuropsychological labs).Sometimes doing different things helps you narrow your focus, and gives you experience with different kinds of assessments, different kinds of people, and just more stuff to put on your CV! I think it's actually better to work in more than one lab (especially as an undergrad- I am still just a senior) because even if you didn't work there for too long, it shows that you're really involved and always looking for opportunities. Also, I had LOTS of stuff to talk about in my interview when they asked "so what have you been dong?" If I had just worked in one lab I don't think I could have talked for that long! But really, it's probably all personal preference. Do what you enjoy, expereince is experience.. and it sounds like you have some good stuff already...so do what will make you happiest. Just to leave you with one last though, doing research with 2 professors leaves you with only one LOR left to find...

Okay, so I have kind of an opinion question because I'm not sure what to do. I worked as a RA for senior studies projects last semester with this professor. It was a really good experience working with the student in his group. I volunteered to work with him and his group again but this time, the students do not really have projects I would like to work with. So, is it better for letter of reccomdendation purposes to have a professor say "I worked with this student with research for 2 years" or is it okay to do different projects with different professors. Will it hurt to not have as strong as a research background with one professor as opposed to spreading my research work with two professors? Thank you for any input!