1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Undergrad research?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ThatKidMike, Jul 24, 2006.

1. ThatKidMike

ThatKidMike Member
    2+ Year Member

How would I go about getting involved in undergrad research?

Also a question, if I want to be a history major not a bio major, will I be taken seriously for any research purposes by faculty/other people? Will they just brush me aside because I'm a humanities major?

I ask this because it seems to me only majors that can get into research are science/psychology, and I myself want to be a history major. :idea:

But maybe I should do psychology to get in on research?

Any suggestions?
    Mike

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Johnny_one_eye

Johnny_one_eye Phleboptimist
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well if you're really into history, you could try working with a history professor doing some sort of history/social science research. I'm sure you could get involved with some sort of scientific research as well, but you're going to need the necessary background and coursework, but really this is just your pre-med coursework, which you'll have to do anyways. Anyone's ready for research who's taken gen chem, orgo, and bio with their labs. You might not have time to do as in-depth of a project as a science major, but it's definitely possible.

4. MissMcCall

MissMcCall Member

Pre-Medical

A good way to get into research is to contact the professor of one of your science classes and ask to work in their lab. Or your school website may have profiles of professors and their research. You could find a few that interest you and contact them. I don't think they care what you're majoring in as long as you have taken certain classes (the lab I work in required biochemistry and genetics.)

5. Lanced

Lanced Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

There's a few types of research, you'll need some pre-reqs for lab work. For clinical and epidemiological research, there are fewer strict requirements, but some statistics and a psych design & methods class would be very helpful.

If you're near a big University, I'd first check with the career center and see what is advertised. When we recruited undergrad RAs, we posted an ad in some class rooms and with the school's career center. If that doesn't yield much, start sending out cold-emails/calls to professors who are doing research in an area you find interesting.

Good luck, be persistent. I really lucked into a great experience RAing for a small clinical study, and I'm now able to work full-time in another field coordinating clinical studies for the next year.

6. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    they won't shun you. i'm in a big research university and my friend is a european studies/econ major and he didn't have any problem getting into a bio lab to do research.

7. ThatKidMike

ThatKidMike Member
    2+ Year Member

Alright thanks a lot, but how will I get into research early(first part of freshman year) if there is all these required classes to work in lab? I want to get involved as early as possible, even if they make me a dishwasher.

So I'm guessing freshman do dishwashing and stuff and then sophs and older get to actually do research?

8. geno2568

geno2568 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    dishwashing is usually either a shared task, or is left to those that are paid lab assistants. If you wanna do "research", then as a freshman you will probably help out the grads or something...but it will be something you can learn from

9. cbennett

cbennett Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    research is a joke. If your doing it cause you want to then do it but if your doing it because you think it is required then dont. Unless you what to go into accademic medicine or medical research then it is not essential especial since your a history major. Don't worry if people tell you its required because they are full of ****. Trust me people who tell you they do it because they enjoy it are MOST likely insane because anyone that is not a freakin nerdy pre-med would much rather be basking in the sun on the beach during there summer. Adcoms will not hold it against you for not doing research especially if your not a science major. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME

10. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    when do you start school? i'd start emailing profs now...go to school website in the department you want and start reading up on their interests and find one you like and tell them you want to get familiar and are really interested in their line of work etc. write a beautiful letter about how interested u are in that specific field(even if there's some fabrication) and cross your fingers. chances are that you won't meet anyone u want to really do research with in your first year in first year intro classes. that's waht i did and i got a job within a week and they even let me defer til second semester and trust me i never once had to wash a dish; that was for the paid people. i even got credit for mine.

11. ocean09

ocean09 member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  12. ThatKidMike

ThatKidMike Member
    2+ Year Member

Alright thanks for the help, so as long as I'm taking some bio classes for pre-med I can get research if I find a willing prof.? Sounds good. :smuggrin:

13. Rainman84

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Another thought: depending on where you go to school, the chem dept may love another undergrad researcher... since you'll already be taking ochem.
    anyway, just my 2 cents... this is a bio major talking but we have a ton of chem undergrad researchers working here at my school over the summer and they easily outnumber us bio folk. I think if you stuck to research within your own major, you'd probably be more satisfied overall for your time investment and the end value of your effort (unless you have a hidden passion for biology, in which case I will welcome you to the flock).

14. Compass

Compass Squishy
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

I know JUST the type of research you can enjoy that brings biology and history together. Epidemiology! You can express interest in the historical parts, especially, such as how disease has broken out in the past, and describe the general lifestyle and conflicts. Yesh, wars spread disease, so do plenty of other things that have happened in the past. You won't be doing lab-work as much, but you are doing very medically related research. In fact...

Rah, rah, rah!

http://www.rit.edu/~gtfsbi/Symp/premed.htm

Ctrl-F for epidemiology, and begin expressing interest NOW :) There are two that I've browsed ATM, and one of them is in Wisconsin, and another is actually about 1000 feet from me, at the National Cancer Institute! If you need information about NCI, I can see if they have any flyers or old students of the program in one of my spare days after I finish my presentation.

15. ThatKidMike

ThatKidMike Member
    2+ Year Member

wow compass you are my SDN god