Undergrad school and results!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by quaileggs, Nov 28, 2001.

1. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My contribution to the effort to analyze med school data in every possible way:
    I think med schools (particularly the"elite" ones)really do favor students from particular undergrad institutions. I have been noticing on this board that alot of the people with interviews from top schools tend to have city locations like "Boston" "Berkeley" "Palo Alto" "NYC". (as opposed to "Iowa City" or "Duluth" or "Toledo"...no offense to these places). Many of these students in my casual assessment have super numbers it is true, but not all seem to have extraordinary numbers. On the other hand, some people with very good GPAs and high MCATs but from a not-very-prestigious undergrads just aren't getting that ole invite from Yale. Know what I mean? Please post your undergrad, followed by schools you have been interviewed at, accepted by and rejected by. NO NUMBERS IN THIS THREAD...the only variable is your school. Thanks all. I'll start the ball rolling!
    :)
    The Ohio State University

Accepted by: Ohio State
    U of Cincinnati
    (I notice a pattern to those!)
    Rejected by: Pitt (and I would never say anything nasty about a cadaver! :) )
    Rochester
    (both w/o interview)
    Interviewed and waiting: U Vermont

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'll try again. I've renamed my thread because I think the original name was too boring.
    C'mon and post. I hope there is someone else besides me who likes my idea. :)

4. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior
    7+ Year Member

My school: University of Alabama Birmingham.

Accepted to:
    Duke
    Pritzker

Interview invites:
    Duke
    Pritzker
    Emory
    WashU
    Harvard
    Penn State
    Columbia

In the selection process there's certainly some consideration for school attended; however, if you burst your behind long enough and you pray hard enough, YOU CAN DO IT!!! :D

5. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

It is a good idea, its just that I dont know of any other people on SDN from my school who are applying to med school right now. So there will probably be only one post (mine) from Baylor undegrad. But, I'll play anyways.

Let me just say that WashU seems to have a lot of Baylor people (relative to my school size) in their med school. I know of at least 5 from my undergrad who went there. The vast majority however, go to one of the Texas med schools.

Home institution: Baylor University

Accepts: Tulane, Vanderbilt, SLU, WashU, UVA

Rejects: Case Western (w/o interview)

Waitlists: none

Interviewed and waiting: Dartmouth, Yale, Pitt, UT San Antonio, UT Galveston,

Interviews offered: UIUC, Michigan, Univ. of Oklahoma, Georgetown, George Washington Univ, UT Houston, Texas Tech, Ohio State

About Yale: I noticed during a couple of my interviews that they seemed interested in my background as far as where I grew up. They asked me several questions about it, even though i didnt really refer to it in my essays. I dont know if Yale has any kind of emphasis on geographical variety or anything, but it seemed like my location (Oklahoma) was a topic of interest for them.

6. Szkwicz

Szkwicz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My school: Alma College

Applied to:
    -Wayne State University
    -Medical College of Wisconsin
    -University of Michigan
    -Michigan State University

Accepted to Wayne State University with a full academic scholarship.

Waitlisted at University of Michigan (but I am termninating my app there)

Have not heard on an interview yet from Michigan State or MCW.

7. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I haven't been accepted anywhere yet but I must politely disagree with your assertion--granted i'm from LA and live in Boston, but I went to college in Maine.

Undergrad: Bates College

Interview(ed/s):

Albert Einstein
    Boston University
    Columbia University
    Cornell University
    Johns Hopkins
    Mount Sinai School of Medicine
    Northwestern
    NYU School of Medicine
    University of Southern California
    University of Pennsylvania
    University of Rochester
    Washington University
    Yale University

8. Barton

Barton Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

University of Wisconsin Madison undergrad (MN resident)
    Applied to:
    -Minnesota (interview/waitlist)
    -SLU (interview/waitlist)
    -Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (interview/accepted)
    -Medical College of Wisconsin (interview/accepted)
    -Pritzker (rejected w/o interview)
    -Minnesota Duluth (rejected w/o interview)
    -Wake Forest (haven't heard anything)
    -UVM (haven't heard anything)
    -Iowa (haven't heard anything)

9. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

GG16,
    It is fine with me if doubt is cast on my assertion. I hope that blatant snobbery is dying out. I invite people to provide evidence to the contrary (of course there is nothing scientific or representativee about this sample).
    I'm really impressed with the interviews you folks have gotten. Some people have an enormous # of interviews. I imagine that people with >5 interviews must have something extremely outstanding about their applications. What is it? Sky high numbers? Very unique accomplishments?

10. Hopkins2010

Removed

11. Mossjoh

Mossjoh Mayo Clinic-PGY2
    10+ Year Member

Okay, here we go:

Undergrad: Aquinas College

Accepted: Michigan State (MD)

Interviewed: Wayne State (expecting acceptance)
    Indiana University (heard nada since)

Invited to interview:
    Chicago COM: but withdrew before it
    Michigan State (DO): Withdrew

Withdrawn:
    Loyola
    Northwestern
    Rush
    Medical College of Wisconsin
    Wisonsin (never heard anything from)

12. bujji13

bujji13 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Baylor21:

I didn't know you went to Baylor U in Waco! I just assumed you were a big fan of Baylor Med. I'm from Waco myself! (born and raised) and now I go to school in Baltimore, but I might come back to Texas (that is, if I get in to Baylor when I apply next year). Nice to see someone in my hometown doing so well in the app process.

13. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I really hope you're not implying that my little post was indicative of 'blatent snobbery'--indeed I was simply furnishing a list of schools i've interviewed at and illustrating that I did not attend a super well known institution. I mean, to be sure, its not all glory with me at all. I was just rejected from UCSF without an interview (a couple of days ago) and was incredibly bummed out since that was pretty much my top choice school.

14. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

GG16- No I'm not talking about you at all! I was referring to schools that would be snobby about what school someone went to.

Baylor: You are too modest! Your results are so impressive. If I applied to 31 schools I still don't think I'd do as well as you. :)
    You've probably been asked this before, but why did you apply to 31 schools?

15. coop

coop Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i definately think ugrad school plays a factor, but I think it may be hard to see as this thread unfolds because while there may be 10 SDNers each from schools like stanford, duke, etc they may not be better than the one SDNer from alma or aquinas. Point is, samples may be squewed based on who would frequent this site, but anyways, lets see how it pans out.

ugrad: hopkins (but a CA resident)

accepted: pritzker, vanderbilt, case western, maryland

interviewed and no word yet: duke, hopkins, pitt(withdrew)

invited for interview: ucla, northwestern(declined)

no word from: UCSF, yale, harvard, penn, washu

16. Hopkins2010

Removed

17. Hopkins2010

Removed

18. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Okay here goes:

Undergrad: University of Minnesota--Twin Cities

Rejected without interview:
    Pritzker
    U of MN--Duluth
    U of Wisconsin

Interviewed and waiting:
    Iowa (I must be deferred 'til March..probable waitlist!)

Interview upcoming:
    Northwestern

Still waiting to hear:
    MCW
    Loyola
    Mayo
    UIC

Accepted:
    U of Minnesota-Minneapolis

I didn't apply to any top-10 schools, so I don't know how much help I am...

19. chef

chef Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

To assess whether your theory of "top" med schools favoring elite undergrad institutions, it would be better to look at each institution's applying pool and see where they end up, rather than posting individual cases.

I think if u r a brilliant person, it doesn't matter if you went to harvard or a small Community college in Wyoming. But if there r 2 almost identical applicants, one from a more reputable school *might* be favored b/c of teh proven track record of former students from that undergrad institution.

Anyway, to give an example of Hopkins undergrad (my school), for 2000 cycle about 165 (i think) people went to a medical school (89% success rate). Out of those, 45 people went to "USNEWS top10" schools. I don't care much about the usnews rankings but it seems like it's the list everyone relies on....

20. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Baylor: So what's your secret? Besides applying to so many schools and having pretty decent stats? Do you have stellar research work, fantastic EC's, save a village in Africa while researching the cure for cancer? Just wondering. Btw, I've been following your progress. Congratulations on all the good news! You must be on cloud nine, especially since you already have the acceptance that matters the most: your fiancee's! :)

21. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I would have to agree that undergrad matters. Yes, one applicant from Purdue U and another one from Harvard would be equally qualified with similar numbers and research experiences. And even if they interview a all top 10 schools, but the one from Harvard might get into Yale, Harvard, columbia, and Stanford while the one from Purdue might get into Upenn and thus lack the option of choosing which top 10 to go to. About the poster from U of Alabama above, if he had come from an Ivy league school, he probably would have sat on multiple top 10 acceptances instead just getting one from Duke which due to its geographical region might be more willing to in an UAB undergrad than the other top 10 schools he listed. Just my personal opinion....

22. Hopkins2010

Removed

23. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, it's a little early in the process for me, as I'm an August MCATer, but here's my info and results thus far:

Undergrad at Stanford

Rejected without interview: Case Western

Interviewed and waiting: Albany and Columbia

Interviews scheduled or to be scheduled: Keck, Rochester, Tulane, UWSOM

Phone interview scheduled: Mayo

Waiting to hear from: Boston, Geo. Washington, Jefferson, JHU, Mount Sinai, MCPH, Tufts, Vermont, OHSU, SLU, U. Michigan, U. Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, WUSTL

24. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Undergrad at UCSD

Rejected without secondary:

UCSF
    U of Washington

Interviewed and waiting:

Hawaii
    Vermont

Interviewed and waitlisted:

Syracuse

Secondaries submitted and waiting:

UCI
    UCSD
    UC Davis
    Stanford
    Cornell
    Johns Hopkins
    Harvard
    WashU
    Boston
    Dartmouth
    USC
    OHSU

Andrew

25. MorningLight2100

MorningLight2100 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Interesting thread! :)

Undergrad: Barnard College

Accepted:
    UConn
    NYU

Interviewed & waiting:
    Yale
    Columbia
    Cornell

Upcoming interview: Einstein

Haven't heard diddly squat from :) :
    Mt. Sinai
    Hopkins
    Harvard
    UPenn

To the best of my knowledge, I'm the only Barnard gal on this site (although I know that some Columbia students are here), and I think there are only a handful of students at my school applying in this cycle; most seniors I know are waiting a year.

26. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior
    7+ Year Member

27. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Since I have some friends from lesser known state universities at Hopkins and Yale, I don't really think it's purely name recognition.

In my opinion, this question only really gets interesting when you take undergrad school and GPA into account -- then I think you will see certain trends appear.

28. well, we can start with undergrad school and GPA then, even though I was in a different application cycle.
    3.6 undergrad with upward trend at University of Maryland, 4.0 grad from UMAB, 29 MCAT. Applied to 21 schools, rejected from most, but:
    Interviewed: Penn State, MCPHU, NYMC, Tufts, GW, Maryland, SLU. (in order of interview date).
    Waitlisted and never got in: MCP, NYMC, Penn State, Maryland (state school).
    Rejected post-interview: GW
    Accepted (off waitlist in July!): SLU and Tufts

Currently attend Tufts and solidly passing everything, honoring one class by default (since I've taken it 2x already in undergrad and grad and couldn't get an exemption).

Not too impressive compared to many people who post on SDN, but it doesn't matter since we're all going to be doctors in the end right? :)

29. well, we can start with undergrad school and GPA then, even though I was in a different application cycle.
    3.6 undergrad with upward trend at University of Maryland, 4.0 grad from UMAB, 29 MCAT. Applied to 21 schools, rejected from most, but:
    Interviewed: Penn State, MCPHU, NYMC, Tufts, GW, Maryland, SLU. (in order of interview date).
    Waitlisted and never got in: MCP, NYMC, Penn State, Maryland (state school).
    Rejected post-interview: GW
    Accepted (off waitlist in July!): SLU and Tufts

Currently attend Tufts and solidly passing everything, honoring one class by default (since I've taken it 2x already in undergrad and grad and couldn't get an exemption).

Not too impressive compared to many people who post on SDN, but it doesn't matter since we're all going to be doctors in the end right? :)

30. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Mine won't be much help, since I took Aug MCATs and should hear about lots of rejections and/or interview invites in the next few weeks. Let's hope for the latter. :)

I am a state school undergrad and proud of it ;) : University of Arizona.

Interviewed and waiting: University of Arizona

Interviews Scheduled: Columbia, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Einstein, and U. Maryland

No word yet from LOTSA schools: U Penn, Jefferson, Temple, Boston U, Tufts, Haaavud, Geo Wash, Georgetown, UVA, UNC, Rochester, Wake Forest, U Chicago, NWern, Baylor, Penn State, Pitt, Yale :( , Cornell, Hopkins. ;)

31. cm7b5

cm7b5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

School: SUNY Binghamton

Interviewed:
    1) UPenn
    2) Columbia
    3) NYU
    4) Michigan
    5) Albert Einstein
    6) SUNY Downstate (accepted)

Interview later:
    1) Rochester
    2) Vanderbilt
    3) SUNY Upstate
    4) UPitt

No response yet:
    1) Yale
    2) Harvard
    3) Cornell
    4) Mount Sinai
    5) WashU
    6) George Washington
    7) New York Med
    8) Johns Hopkins
    9) U Maryland

32. alice

alice Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know if it will help, because I am in Baylor's boat of applying to loads of schools. I think that the numbers are working more than anything else. I went to Yale. For what it's worth, I think that undergrad institution comes out in a statistical wash. There are loads of super-gunner Yalies also applying and many schools look at applicants from the same school together (because they start to get a 'feel' for a school's recommenders, etc.) Whereas a less competitive school might have half as many pre-meds. I am sure this is only more the case at a place like Hopkins or Wash U where there are even more premeds.

Rejected without secondary: Thanks, dude. UCSF

Haven't finished secondaries:
    Georgetown, Mt. Sinai

App complete and no love: Emory, Yale (nice loyalty - sort of works against the theory of this page, huh?), Hopkins, GW, Wash U.

Interviews coming up:
    NYU, Northwestern, UVA

Interviews passed (no word yet):
    Columbia, Cornell, Stanford, Einstein, Dartmouth, Duke, Tufts

Interviews passed with results:
    WL: Vandy

Weird letter of "still in our minds" from BU

Accepted: Tulane and Stony Brook

33. Premed315U

Premed315U Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Alice, what's your gpa and extracurriculars? were you rejected from UCFS because you're out of state?

34. 007flint

007flint Member
    7+ Year Member

Just curious, how do you all afford to apply to so many schools? 30 bucks a pop for the initial, and 50-100 bucks for each secondary. I originally applied to 13 schools, but only actually sent the 2ndaries for 6 of them because it got to expensive.

35. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Went to Northwestern undergrad ... 3.1/34 MCAT

Interviewed and accepted
    -Tulane
    -Michigan State (MD)

Rejected w/o interview
    -17 other schools

Personally, I think some schools like pedigree and other schools don't give a horse's behind. It doesn't make any difference, b/c if you are good, you'll get in somewhere and then once you kick butt in med school, no doors will be shut for you.

Simul
    Tulane Med '05

36. AngEyes00

AngEyes00 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

37. GS

GS Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys, I really like this thread. Here are my stats:

Undergrad: Duke

Acceptances:
    U Chicago Pritzker :)
    U of Iowa :)

Interviews w/nothing yet:
    Baylor
    Columbia
    Emory
    UT Southwestern
    Duke (upcoming)

Interview received but withdrew:
    George Washington
    UT San Antonio
    UT Galveston
    UT Houston
    UVA

Tulane
    Georgetown

Haven't heard:
    Northwestern
    Mt. Sinai
    UPenn
    Cornell

Merry Christmas everyone!!! It's only 21 days away!!!

38. atdeben

atdeben Member
    7+ Year Member

Undergrad - Duke

Accepted:
    GW
    UVA
    Jefferson

Interviewed and waiting:
    Georgetown
    MCV

39. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I know that this is not really "my" forum, but I felt like sharing 'cause I am really happy.

Undergrad: University of Pennsylvania (1994)

Applied: PCOM, UMDNJSOM

Interviewed: PCOM, UMDNJSOM

Accepted: UMDNJSOM (Heard nothing from PCOM)

On a side note, I got my ass whipped at Penn like I stole from them (2.21) and cleaned up my act later (3.93 from Temple postbac 27 O MCAT). I honestly did not think I was going to get in ANYWHERE (Had Temple Podiatry as backup) and am so excited that I thought I would take any opportunity to post, allopathic or not!

40. alice

alice Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

3.5 - not a science major, either
    33 S
    interesting ECs but no cancer-curing in cambodia or anything. am doing research now, but hadn't done it before they got my app.

and for the person who asked about financing this awful ordeal, i cut a deal with my parents that they'd pay for me to get in, i'd pay for me to get through.

is it obvious that i wasn't an econ major? i think i got screwed by about $150K.

41. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

Undergrad: JHU

Acceptances:
    Temple (10/22)
    Hahnemann (11/2)

Interviews w/nothing yet:
    Einstein
    NY Med

George Washington (Alternate)

Interview offer but withdrew:
    Penn State

Rejections:
    Georgetown
    Pitt

Haven't heard:
    NYU
    Mt. Sinai
    UPenn
    Jefferson
    Cornell
    Tufts
    Ohio State

42. scottie

scottie Member
    7+ Year Member

Undergrad: U of Notre Dame

Interviewed and Accepted:
    Loyola

Interviewed and Waiting to Hear:
    Indiana
    Georgetown
    Wash U
    SLU

Upcoming Interviews:
    Iowa
    Creighton

Completed Secondaries and Have Heard Nothing:
    Dartmouth
    U of South Dakota
    Stanford

43. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

ussdfiant: congrats on the DO acceptances! alice: that's a pretty good deal with the 'rents. My deal was: Undergrad - full ride here at USF (University of South Florida), Application - me Med School - parents. Halfway through, I'm..

Rejected: UCSF, Stanford (today), Mayo Clinic

Interviewed (date):
    Florida - Hold (Oct 5)
    South Florida - Waitlist (Oct 8)
    Chicago Pritzker - no word (Oct 25)
    Georgetown - (Nov 29)
    Pittsburgh - (Nov 30)

File complete, waiting:
    Harvard
    Cornell
    Yale
    Northwstern
    Virginia

No secondary/rejection: North Carolina-Chapel Hill

-had a damn good time in Pittsburgh, mainly because I got to spend the weekend with a friend I met while on exchange last year at oxford brookes U. (UK) She took me to see Les Miserables during which we acted like we were 12 (walked in late giggling, wiped runny nose on her coat, had fly undone, shirt untucked and chased each other during intermission). A great way to wind down after back to back 7am-1am interview days :D

44. zancudo

zancudo Member
    7+ Year Member

Undergrad: Cornell University

Accepted:
    U of Chicago-Pritzker

Interviewed:
    Columbia
    Cornell
    U of Rochester
    U of Chicago-Pritzker
    SUNY Downstate
    Georgetown
    Mount Sinai
    B.U.

Interview upcoming:
    NYU

Interview offers but application withdrawn:
    SUNY Stonybrook
    Albert Einstein
    NY Medical College

Rejected (Post-secondary):
    Stanford

No word:
    U Penn
    Hopkins
    Harvard
    Yale
    Northwestern

45. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I started this thread and I like how people started including the schools they haven't heard from yet. Here's my addendum:

Undergrad :oops: hio State University

File complete but have heard nothing yet:
    Yale
    Columbia
    Tulane
    (the above 3 were some of my very earliest secondaries completed..like in August! It ain't looking good)
    Dartmouth
    Northwestern
    Hopkins
    Harvard
    Jefferson

46. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

Ok, i'll join :)

Undergrad: Cleveland State University

Interviewed and Accepted:
    MCO
    NEOUCOM

Interviewed and waiting:
    Wright State

Interviewed and Waitlisted:
    OSU (alternate-list, if that helps)

Interviews to go:
    CWRU
    U of Cincinnati

Sorta-rejected without interview: Penn State (got the "hold for possible interview" letter).

Yet to hear from:
    Mt. Sinai
    U. Mich
    Harvard

47. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

still early for me:
    undergrad: columbia college of columbia university
    gpa- 3.8 (both science and cum)
    mcat-11,11,11
    4 years research, emt, lots volunteer community service and clinical experience

applied early decision_ Cornell
    (deferred_ got too nervous/out of it at interview- it was on sept.12 of all days_ in NYC!!!) :mad:
    :(

accepted_ stony brook

interviewed (haven't heard yet)_
    columbia
    pittsburgh
    cornell
    nyu

still waiting (all these applications were completed in the last month):
    yale
    harvard
    hopkins
    stanford
    wash u
    penn
    sinai
    downstate
    georgetown
    emory
    einstein
    george washington

since i applied EDP, i was ridiculously late in filling out the rest of the applications, but they're in and done now, and i dont think it's gonna hurt me too bad at most schools.
    app has been complete about a month at most of the schools- hopefully i'll get some more interviews soon. :rolleyes:

48. BigRedStress

BigRedStress AMEX Black
    7+ Year Member

Hey Zancudo....
    I'm a junior right now at Cornell...
    I was wondering what your GPA and MCATs were?
    Also, do you have any advice for fellow Cornellian? I'm a Bio major and taking Genetics 281 right now.... what hell!
    I'll be taking the MCATs this April, and advice as to what I should take next semester for easy As? Also how did you find HCEC?

49. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Looking at this admittedly far-from-representative sample,I notice a strong New York theme emerging. NYC undergrads seem to be getting lots of interviews at NY area med schools. As for acceptances, it seems less clear. Of course, NY undergrads are more likely to apply to the New York area med schools, but it looks like the NYC schools draw lots of out-of-towner applicants. (Me included). Lots of premeds are intrigued by the idea of learning medicine in NYC.

50. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

bumpity-BUMP

with all the undergrad threads, thought this would be a good one to bring to life. No real updates for me since my post on page3 (cornell reject, Chicago,G-town waitlists).

51. mma

mma Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I went to Harvard undergrad, UT-Austin grad, and Tufts post-bacc. My committee LOR came from Tufts.

Accepted:
    Baylor
    U of Rochester
    Tufts

Interviewed and waiting:
    Harvard
    Penn
    Yale

Interviewed and withdrew:
    Dartmouth
    BU
    UMass