medchica

Removed
Dec 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm currently a student at a private college that is not highly ranked. I'm Bio Pre-med here and I have a pretty good gpa. I talked to a few people that go to a more prestigious university and they seem to be struggling and are always complaining about how tough it is. Do med schools care about getting As or are they more concerned with your school rank ?

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
care much more about getting A's. however, extracurriculars are usually not seen through the lens of undergrad. That and the MCAT help differentiate students and put them in different piles during the application cycle.

CarlATHF

o hai
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2007
Deep South
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
They care more about whether or not you have cured cancer/AIDS/TB and helped deliver over 9000 babies in Africa.

iFearMCAT

Removed
Feb 16, 2010
Status
They care more about whether or not you have cured cancer/AIDS/TB and helped deliver over 9000 babies in Africa.

:thumbup: Do these things and you will get in everywhere. However, if you don't and you still want to get into a top 20, yes the name will most definately help you. If you just want to get into med school name is less of a factor. ADCOMS are people, people are biased, fill in the rest. However if you get a 40-3.9 with pubs and models with bottles, its gonna be hard not to take a second look at ya, ya know wat I mean.

justinbaily

5+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm in a similar situation, but at a public school. Coming from an unranked/unknown school, grades matter half as much; MCAT matters twice as much.

naijaboi

MS0
Nov 20, 2009
Boston, MA
Status
Medical Student
Your grades, MCAT, ECs and personal story matters more than your undergrad's reputation.

Get those A's, study and ace the MCAT, volunteer, clinic, research, leadership and you will be fine regardless of where you go.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SEARCH FIRST

This topic is addressed VERY often and at EXTREME length. Please search first.

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
This topic is so thoroughly rehashed just about every week. Should be added to the permanent posts.

Ischemic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Anyone ever think of posting, stickying and locking a thread that answers only the most dumb and mundane questions like this one?

We should start a list of potential topics that are seen EVERYDAY and give birth to NEW THREADS ALL THE TIME.

1. the school rank/prestige/usnews **** ranking question
2. the extracurricular question
3. the rec letter question

LOL, it'd be funnier if the answers were all USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION YOU ******. Feel free to add

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm in a similar situation, but at a public school. Coming from an unranked/unknown school, grades matter half as much; MCAT matters twice as much.
Actually, I have never heard it put quite like that. You are right. The importance of the MCAT is greatly enhanced if they don't know and/or respect your undergrad.

They need to know you're smart enough!! If you go to Yale, they know.