undergrad school reputation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beamiestface

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard many times that what undergrad school you went to really doesn't matter from admissions, ie a high GPA from a state school beats a lower one from a more prestigious school any day.

But does the quality of undergrad school you went to have any weight at all? I attend a top-15 LAC, and I was wondering if this would mean anything at all to adcoms...not in terms of making up for anything GPA-wise, but just as something extra added to the application.

I just find it interesting that most people on this board went to state schools for undergrad, and many of them are being accepted to top medical schools.

Members don't see this ad.

One doctor I talked with said that it did matter. This would probably be in cases in which you have two students with the same stats but one is from ivy league and the other is from a state school. Also, how do you know that most of the people posting here go/went to state schools?