Undergrad Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cralbur

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman at Miami University (ohio). I am wondering whether Dental Schools put a lot of emphasis on the undergrad school you attend or do the dental schools look at the state schools around the same lines. The reason I am asking this question is because I am thinking of transfering to a school with "less of an academic standard" and one that I would feel more comfortable at. Will it look better if I stay at the same school all 4 years or will it not matter what school I go to. Also, say I would choose Ohio State as undergrad and plan on continuing to their dental school, would that dental school look more preferably at me if I was already an Ohio State student? I have been wrestling with these question for a while now and would like help from anyone, thanks a bunch, Craig.

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Transferring to Ohio State should not cause you a problem in applying. HOWEVER, there are problems that may arise if you transfer.

If you have already started two semester courses in chem, biol, physics, and you transfer after having only one semester of any of them, they may not integrate well with the second semester at the new school. This is especially true of biology; almost no college teaches biology I and II with the same distribution of topics. Chem and physics are taught in a more standard sequence.

If you start the 2nd term of any of these sequences at Ohio State, you will find yourself in class with experienced Ohio State students who know ropes and have passed the first semester there.

You have to adjust to a new set of rules, not necessarily an impediment.

Perhaps more serious, Ohio State lecture sections are undoubtedly much larger than those at Miami because of the larger student population at Ohio State. Many students are unhappy with large lecture sections.

Miami is a fine college but more expensive than Ohio State. I have always believed, other things being equal, it is better to save money on the undergrad education because of the greater cost of the professional education. In this case, Ohio State is not much, if any, of a stepdown from Miami. Earn good grades at Miami or Ohio State, do well on the DAT, you should get accepted to dental school from either.
"Prestige" is the last of many factors that should concern you in choosing a dental school to attend. Graduate from any dental school in the US and you will be a dentist. How good a dentist depends upon your own skills.

Undergrad reputation is definitely important. I go to a Top 25 school and have found it a great advantage in getting interviews and making up for my average GPA.

Going to a "prestigous" dental school is important as well, if you have the money. Placement into specialty programs heavily favor students from schools like Harvard, Columbia, Penn, and Michigan.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies!! However, maybe I should make my question a little more clear and precise. Say I was to transfer to undergrad Bowling Green State University or Ohio State, would that effect the decision of me getting into a dental school such as Ohio State. Or does staying at Miami(ohio) look better as an undergrad or are they about the same? Sorry for the confusion

Hello,
I also have a sci gpa of around a 2.7 and overall gpa of 3.01. I received an 18/17 on my DAT and have applied to 15 schools, two which include UOP and Howard. I am a senior in undergrad college, and waiting to hear from the dental schools. I feel like it's out of my reach now, is there anything else I can
do...also, do you think I have a shot at all? My applications just got to the dental schools, so how long did you guys have to wait to get interviews? I haven't been asked to interview yet and I'm terribly worried.
Would it help to go visit the school myself? Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-Seema