Undergrad schools....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoonGlo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always heard that the reputation of the undergrad school plays somewhat of a role in your med school application. Would going to a state school that has a med school help my chances at all? (not necessarily applying to that particular med school)

Members don't see this ad.

Schools almost always consider the rigor of coursework at your undergraduate institution and it's reputation. While the fact that your college has a medical school WILL help you gain admission at that school, I don't think the mere existence of a med school at your college can do anything to bolster your credentials, other than possibly broaden the amount of medical exposure you can get there. Obviously the best thing is to do your best no matter where you attend, but best case scenario would be to do well at a more prestigious school. But if that isn't an option, just be sure that you take advantage of all the variety of opportunities available at a state univ. with a med school. Hope that helps answer your question. Are you totally against going to the med school at your state univ.?

Assuming you don't want to go to the med school associated with your undergrad, your choice of school won't really help you or hurt you, reputation-wise. However, the fact that there is a med school there can make it easier to gain research experience or clinical experience, if you so desire.

School reputation is tricky -- some people associated with admissions committees *swear* that their schools give an automatic numerical "boost" to applications from certain elite universities. Other people insist that school name plays a very minor, insignificant role in the process. I think the bottom line is that you want to do the best you can wherever you are, and don't discount the importance of the MCAT. Assuming you have strong scores and a good GPA, you should be in good shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe UCSF accounts for a schools reputation. Mainly due to course rigors i believe. I spoke to one of the adcoms members and they account that in during the 2nd screening.

Not sure if other schools do that though. But i wouldn't be surprised if they did. UC Berkeley surely has a more rigorous academic enviroment. Not saying that the subject matter is taught harder, its just so competative there.

A B+ at Cal could likely be an A- or A at another school.

Oh yea just wanted to add, i don't go to Cal.

I think it can be beneficial to your application, but it is not necessary. I went to an undergrad school with a med school and I found it beneficial for 2 reasons. 1. The large university hospital was right on campus providing ample opportunity for volunteer/job experiences in a medical setting 2. My undergraduate major was actually a department in the medical school which I know was helpful in me getting accepted at the medical school.