Undergrad student Considering a PsyD or psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Super important point for OP to consider. Personally even though I think I prob would have also enjoyed psychiatry as a career, the idea of going through all the general medical training first really would do me in. I mean, other than the on call and lack of sleep, I think I could do 98% of it - it takes a lot to get a visceral reaction to me- but for some reason the act of seeing someone else get an injection or being sliced... would take some serious exposure therapy at the least. Already open and bleeding and gross? No problem. But the idea of using a scalpel and giving inserting needles for that many years before getting to the psychiatry stuff.... none of that in psychology for me so far :)

I think I got all the way through medical school without ever touching a scalpel to living flesh. It's really not that hard to avoid if you're not interested. I just stood in the back and let the pre-surgery gunners have at it. There are so many eager beavers, nobody really cares that much if the pre-psychiatry student is inching towards the door.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users