Undergrad studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunfire1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what classes and in what order any of you took during your years as undergrads. I know it might be hard to remember, but I don't trust my counselor at my school. I am afraid that I will not have every thing I need by the time I apply for Med school. To begin with the first time I saw her she tried to persuade me into another career.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There is really no way that anyone can answer this question for you because so much depends on your major requirements and where you want to go to med school (different schools have different requirements but they all require a year of bio, O chem etc. known as the pre-reqs for med school). If your school has a pre med committee then they may be able to help you because they will know what your degree requirements are and how you should structure your classes. There are classes that aren't required in med school that are very helpful on the MCAT and as a broad scientific background (things like cellbio, genetics, biochem etc.). I have found the general advisors at my university to be very backward about what pre-meds should do and generally they were not very helpful because they don't understand the process and they often gave blatantly wrong advice but I hear the premed committee was very helpful even though I never used them. I researched all this on my own and laid out my classes before I started my freshman year for the entire 4 years making sure that I had all the classes needed for any med school and for my 3 science degrees. It took me about 2-3 weeks to plan it all and move things around to make it all fit but it was worth it because I never had to revisit the issue, each semester when it came time to register, I just pulled out my master plan and registered for those classes. One thing to keep in mind if you do it this way, is that you don't overload yourself with super difficult classes all in one semester. I remedied this by
gradually taking my humanities and foreign languages etc so that I could have a couple of easier classes in with the hard science classes. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!