Undergrad to a public health school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sierrawest

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was just wondering was there anyone here that completed undergrad and then went straight to a public health school(or waited a year)? If so, were there any suggestions you would have? It seems like a lot of MPH students come from the MD and other professional degrees field.

Members don't see this ad.

I see. So are your plans to complete the MPH and then look for employment? Do you think undergrads are at a disadvantage in the curriculum compared to others? I guess it would depend on the concentration, like biostatistics or epidemiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're comparing a person who has work experience + MPH versus a person with no work experience and a MPH, of course the person with work experience is more valuable because of the experience. But it's not uncommon to go straight to a MPH without the work pitstop, and it's not a big deal. You can definitely get an entry-level epidemiology or statistics job straight through.

Hi. I was just wondering was there anyone here that completed undergrad and then went straight to a public health school(or waited a year)? If so, were there any suggestions you would have? It seems like a lot of MPH students come from the MD and other professional degrees field.

I have known more than a few people that went from undergrad straight to the MPH and I've known a few that were able to go straight to the PhD in Health Education & Health Promotion. You should contact the particular school(s) that you are interested in to find out what their admissions policies are. Having some work experience and classwork in the field doesn't hurt in the admissions process but there are a number of schools out there that would take you (Take a look at SIU-Carbondale. They offer an MPH in Health Education & Health Behavior and they are one of the few schools that doesn't require the GRE for admissions. They also are one of the few that provide tuition waivers and stipends for the masters level students and they recently had their CEPH site visit and it looks like they will get their accreditation.)