Undergrad to MED!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Geoff

Mzungu
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDNers,
This is just what I've hurd and I'm not sure it's true.

It is my understanding that if you attend the undergrad school where u would like to go to med school, u don't have very good acceptance chances. That the medical school does not like to take many of it's undergraduates. Is there any reality to this statement.

The reason is, I attend a liberal arts college and for personal reasons I am thinking about transfering to the University of Buffalo for my last 2 years. The thing is that I would like to attend the medical school there as well, but from what I have hurd that can be very difficult having gone to the undergrad. My GPA is good and I shouldn't have a problem keeping good grades but could someone help me out with this. Thanks.

-Geoff

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school. Research your school and see how many they take from their own undergrad. For me, I go to UCSD and they take alot of UCSD undergrads but other schools from what I hear like UCLA dont take alot of their own. It just depends, do some research......

Jetson

Dr. Geoff,

I'm currently a student at the University of Buffalo and am presently applying to med school. From what I've been told by my pre-med advisor UB undergrads are more likely to recieve an interview invite from the UB med school. From what I've heard, last year 50 UB students recieved acceptences to the UB med school. So, it definently helps in the case of UB in gaining acceptence to their med school.
-jkway

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I'd say that med schools don't like to take their own university's kids. I mean, UCLA is hard to get into regardless of where you went. I think going to the school gives you an advantage in most cases, and I would say that it can't hurt you, given that there's no evidence to the contrary.

Originally posted by DW
wait, doesn't cornell med interview all cornell undergrads who apply ;) ?

Didn't we already establish in another thread that either a) that isn't true, or b) that isn't true now?