Undergrad Transfer advice needed... NYU to ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancergal92

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently a freshman at NYU. I am really not enjoying it here, the school is just not for me. The whole atmosphere of the school is just not for me. So my options for next year currently consist of commuting to NYU (I live an hour away from the city- but the commute might make it harder for me to get involved), or I could transfer to SUNY Stony Brook, or Cornell (which I just received acceptance to as a transfer).

I was scared about transferring in the first place, but after searching other forums I saw that the overall thoughts are that transferring doesn't make a big difference in the eyes of med school admissions.

Now since the school you are coming from doesnt make an extreme difference, should I consider Stony brook, where it may be slightly easier to get a higher gpa? Or should I opt for Cornell, where it may be harder to get a higher gpa? or should i not let it phase me, and just pick the school that I think will fit me best?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

heyyya-i went to nyu me freshman year and it wasnt for me...i transferred to my state school (umass amherst) and it couldnt have worked out better...feel free to pm if you have any questions. I think its not necessarily the school you attend, but what you take advantage of while you're there. good luck!

yo im a sophmore at nyu. are u a girl? if so are u hot? pm me

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone aside from someone who has attended both NYU and Stony Brook could tell you if one school grades easier than the other. I attend Stony Brook, and science courses seem to be aimed at weeding out those who start the class with high hopes. Obviously has a much better name, but I don't know if I'd want to live up there; so that's a personal decision for you. Don't plan on going to Stony Brook and getting a 4.0, because it will probably take just about as much effort as it would at NYU.

On a side note, I've met two people who transferred from NYU to Stony Brook; both said they felt much more challenged with the difficulty of material they learned at Stony Brook when compared with NYU. Of course, this is all on the individual, so take it with a grain of salt. Good luck.

yo im a sophmore at nyu. are u a girl? if so are u hot? pm me

a word to the wise, dancergal. If this boor can't figure out you're a girl by your user name, it's unlikely you're going to get much out of this relationship.

a word to the wise, dancergal. If this boor can't figure out you're a girl by your user name, it's unlikely you're going to get much out of this relationship.

Oh come on, the best relationships ALWAYS start out in an anonymous internet forum.

:laugh:

Oh come on, the best relationships ALWAYS start out in an anonymous internet forum.

:laugh:

ah. so that explains the big, gaping void in my life.

hahahah u guys crack me up.

As an NYU student, this is untrue.

For example, on one form I filled out, under gender, there were the following options.

Male
Female
Transgender
Fluid
Other

This is NYU. A person with a SN of Dancergirl could be a girl, or might simply want to be one. Or pretend to be one. Etc

I don't know about Cornell, but my friend stony brook is a LOT harder than NYU. Only in science anyway, so don't even hope SB is easier, and you will listen to me because I have 4.0. :smuggrin:

you should start a new column asking for input from current Cornell and Stony student.

Do you find NYU to be too impersonal? do crowded?

why on earth will you want to leave NYU, it's so New York!!

So I am currently a freshman at NYU. I am really not enjoying it here, the school is just not for me. The whole atmosphere of the school is just not for me. So my options for next year currently consist of commuting to NYU (I live an hour away from the city- but the commute might make it harder for me to get involved), or I could transfer to SUNY Stony Brook, or Cornell (which I just received acceptance to as a transfer).

I was scared about transferring in the first place, but after searching other forums I saw that the overall thoughts are that transferring doesn't make a big difference in the eyes of med school admissions.

Now since the school you are coming from doesnt make an extreme difference, should I consider Stony brook, where it may be slightly easier to get a higher gpa? Or should I opt for Cornell, where it may be harder to get a higher gpa? or should i not let it phase me, and just pick the school that I think will fit me best?

Thank you.

new york isnt all that cracked up as people say. when you are premed, you dont go out much.

and yes, its true what rogue said. this nyu, the gay/lesbian/:confused: capital of the world.

get my :confused: joke? hahahhaha

I don’t know about Cornell, but my friend stony brook is a LOT harder than NYU. Only in science anyway, so don’t even hope SB is easier, and you will listen to me because I have 4.0. :smuggrin:

At NYU, except for Neural Sci and the honors chem track, there are not very many weeder classes. This of couse, gives the naive physics major, or bio major the idea that the classes are easy. Every major has its terrible classes, except, due to the teachers hating students, they come after freshman year.

Forget the East Coast! Come to UCSB! Has to be the happiest school on earth.