Undergrad University choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crowsnose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently faced with this dilemma.

I need to decide between Virginia Commonwealth and University of VA.
Basically my main concern is whether or not it'd be harder to maintain a high GPA if I were to go to UVA, a more prestigious school. I also got free tuition and fees at VCU so perhaps it'd be the wiser decision. But if I learn there's little difference in the intensity of the course-work at both schools I'll be leaning towards UVA.

Members don't see this ad.

As a VA resident, I know UVa's reputation. I also know that they don't have a pharmacy school.

Given the two choices, if I truly planeed on moving on to pharm school, I'd go with VCU, especially since they'ge willing to give you a full ride. You stand a better chance of getting to know some of the faculty and staff in the pharm school if you're right there on campus, and as your schedule opens up and you need more electives, why not take some from the pharm school?

"Intensity of the coursework......" Hmmm, that's kind of a crapshoot. Any given class at any given school can be ultra-intense, or it can be cupcake. Much depends on the courses you choose to take, the professors you get for them, and your aptitude for that particular subject.

I'd go for the school that's offering the full ride.

I would go to UVa for the experience - nothing should shortchange your undergrad experience if you can afford it. You only pass through college once; money will always be there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go to UVa for the experience - nothing should shortchange your undergrad experience if you can afford it. You only pass through college once; money will always be there.

Yea the campus is beautiful and it got ranked #1 for best college experience or something like that. I think I'll be going there and hopefully be able to select easy professors.

I had a lot more fun at VCU than I did at UVa....so my experience was better at VCU.

VCU has a very eclectic group of students while UVa's students tend to all morph into the same baseball cap wearing khaki wearing look alikes IMO.

If you are into being a member of a frat and want a large choice then UVa has their frat row while VCU's choices are a bit more limited.

VCU gives you everything with the city. C'ville is nice but smaller with that country atmosphere.

And I don't want to hear anyone talk about "safety". I've walked all over Richmond during the day and at night and was never bothered. Those who think Richmond is "dangerous" have never lived in a city.....and the burbs don't count as a city ppl.

Yea, I've never had a problem with Richmond, even in more questionable areas like Church Hill. As long as you don't go around causing problems or owing money, there's no reason to fear.

And I don't want to hear anyone talk about "safety". I've walked all over Richmond during the day and at night and was never bothered. Those who think Richmond is "dangerous" have never lived in a city.....and the burbs don't count as a city ppl.

Totally agree! I go to VCU right now and I am having time of my life. Been to UVA and I felt like I was surrounded by people wearing same clothes and same attitudes. Since VCU has a pharmacy school it was easier for me to get involved in it and found out that I would love to go to school here. Classes are just as intense and u have to study to get good grades. I have never had any problems with safety here. Campus is really safe and if you use common sense you should be totally fine in Richmond. Plus you are getting a free ride here...I would totally choose VCU.