Undergrad University..does it make a diff. ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanj

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it make a difference which undergrad. university I attend? I mean, do I have to be a Berkeley or Davis grad. to get into D.O. school? It depends on the grades,right? Thanks---Sanj

Members don't see this ad.

It had better matter! I'm going to Berkeley and it's much harder than any CSU or community college science class! It would kill me if I found out it didn't matter. I study 4-5 hours a day and I have a 2.95 GPA at present, so I'm hoping that a change in attitude, good MCAT score and various other things in addition to my school's name will help me get in.

Nope, it doesn't matter. (IMHO) The MCAT will give the adcoms an objective lens to view your test taking ability. There just isn't any way to determine which classes, teachers or school is "harder" to get good grades in.

[This message has been edited by reed0104 (edited 07-31-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Sanj:

The undergrad school does make somewhat of a difference, but it will never be a deciding factor of whether a person will get accepted.
And I think here is where MCAT comes in, if you go to Harvard and get a 3.5 and 20 on your MCAT you will be at disadvantage to someone who goes to a unknown school and gets a 3.5 and 36 on his/her MCATs. MCAT, like death, is a great equalizer.

Arti

Arti---
I truly appreciate how you found a common thread between the MCAT and death. Genius!
smile.gif

I attend one of those 4 year colleges that are not well known here in CA and many people that have graduated from this school were accepted into fine med schools. Stanford, USF are just a couple.