undergrad vs. med school - which one did you enjoy more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

did you enjoy med school or undergrad more?

• med school

Votes: 35 38.9%
  • undergrad

Votes: 55 61.1%

• Total voters

brownie2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
did you enjoy med school or undergrad more?

Members don't see this ad.

Undergrad - I enjoyed making up my own schedule and work as hard and as little as I wanted to. If I had to do it over again, I would have had more fun in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
MIT was hard, we worked our asses off, slept little, and party hard. BUT, it was everyone against the Institute -- we all worked together, on eveything. The atmostphere was amazing. The problem solving was great. No one had me memorize bullsh*t random facts. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Who the h*ll said medical school? I guess if you're talking maybe material or something, but med school is 4 years of pain. I haven't had much time to do anything that I used to do, like watch TV even. Can't wait until I'm done...

Originally posted by keraven
MIT was hard, we worked our asses off, slept little, and party hard. BUT, it was everyone against the Institute -- we all worked together, on eveything. The atmostphere was amazing. The problem solving was great. No one had me memorize bullsh*t random facts. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Well nobody is forcing you to be at medical school. If you really felt that way you could drop out and go to grad school. :D

Med school, by far. I'm learning stuff that I've always wanted to know more about and working with a group of amazing people too. Yes, it's a lot of work, but I'm pretty good at time management and I find I still have free time to do the stuff I really want to do. Undergrad, I kind of felt like I was spinning my wheels a little.

Ask me that again once third year starts, though :)

Originally posted by Goober
Well nobody is forcing you to be at medical school. If you really felt that way you could drop out and go to grad school.

True, no one's forcing me, but my husband kindly reminds me of my 4 years of undergrad loans (including private loans), and 3 years of med school loans when I have my "I'm quiting this crap" day once a year or so. :)

BUT, grad school is also NOT undergrad. And all of my MD-PhD friends have certainly convinced me this (MD) is path I want. Anyway, I've gotten through the vast majority of memorizing, and actually get to think on the wards!

Goober, thanks for the motivational words, however! Hey, wait, I just noticed that you said "undergrad", too. Maybe your "advice" is something you've considered?

Originally posted by keraven
True, no one's forcing me, but my husband kindly reminds me of my 4 years of undergrad loans (including private loans), and 3 years of med school loans when I have my "I'm quiting this crap" day once a year or so. :)

BUT, grad school is also NOT undergrad. And all of my MD-PhD friends have certainly convinced me this (MD) is path I want. Anyway, I've gotten through the vast majority of memorizing, and actually get to think on the wards!

Goober, thanks for the motivational words, however! Hey, wait, I just noticed that you said "undergrad", too. Maybe your "advice" is something you've considered?

No, I never considered it because I knew I wanted to be a doctor. I still enjoyed undergrad more.

Originally posted by Goober
No, I never considered it because I knew I wanted to be a doctor. I still enjoyed undergrad more.

Ditto.

med school by far. I am/was surrounded by amazing people at both places, but I think my med school class is a little more amazing. In med school I'm studying what I want to study.

My grad school (epi MPH) was in-between undergrad and med.

I've had far less fun over two and half years of med school then I did in any one year of undergrad. I miss college!

People at my undergrad and med school are amazing in their own unique ways. I don't think you can compare engineers with med students in terms of their traits and skills.

Undergrad was far more fun though. I had to put in a lot less time out of class studying. You also had a lot more diverse group of students to have fun with (both ethnically, socio-economically, and academic interests).

I liked the material I studyed in undergrad and med school equally, athough it seems that the people who prefer med school's material didn't like their majors as much......

It is very hard to say what was more fun. I am having a much better time now because my life is so much better. Had my life been different during my undergrad years, i am certain that undergrad would be more fun.

Medical school though is more fun for me. Undergrad caused me stress because i was not sure if i was going to make it and become a doctor. My friends back in Europe were already in medical school and i was green with envy. I couldn't wait to start medical school. Also now i am in a better city, have a boyfriend that adore (and he adores me), am a perm resident of the US, done my military service back home and i am worry free.

Sure the future is uncertain and medical school is hard. But it is what i wanted so badly and it hasn't failed me yet.

I do miss certain things from undergraduate school.

So the question is not fair really. A lot of things can change in a few years. People seem to have more fun with as less problems as possible. Outside factors have to be taken into account.