Undergradate School and Major????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ERMED

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone~

OK, here is my problem. I am a student at a JC, ready to transfer on to a 4 year institution. I am from California and I have the grades to go to a UC but I am thinkingof attending a CSU because of many reasons, not academically related. That CSU is, Fresno State. DO you guys think going to a CSU will minimize my chances of getting accepted to a med school? I aint looking for a top med school, because that doesnt matter, I justwant to get in, as I am sure most of you do. So what do you guys think? CSU Fresno over UCLA,UC Berkeley, UCI,UC D, UCSD, or UCR? I basically like Fresno because of the enviroment, the student body, closer to home and cheaper. Now, My major is Psychology, but I am also very interested in Bussiness Administration, with a specialty in Information Systems. Do you guys think that choosing a Bussiness/Psych major will affect my chances of getting in? I mean, dont get me wrong, I can do a Bio or chem major, but I just find this other 2 more interesting. What do you guys think? I hope to see many advices because I have to maje my decision soon, I have been accepted to the above schools and I need to make a decision.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think your major is a good choice. You are a well-rounded applicant and will be able to offer something unique to med school. Most med schools do not care what your major is, and I think some like to see non-science majors.

I am double majoring in Spanish Lang & Lit and Latin American Studies and I love it (except for right now because I have to write a paper).

I don't know anything about Cali schools, but IMHO, I would recommend going to the best undergrad you can. Some people will say otherwise though.....here it comes.......

And I can't advise you on the JC situation, but you should talk to an advisor about it, don't rely on us :)

Buena suerte!

i also think you should transfer to a UC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to sound elitist or anything, but I think you're better off attending a UC, preferably Berkeley or UCLA. It's not impossible to get into medical school from a CSU, but medical schools do tend to be bias. Whatever your decision, just make sure you do really well on the MCAT and keep your grades high. Good luck.

I know that UC Berkeley has a high accpetance rate to med schools. I would say that if you get into UCLA, UC Berkeley, UCI or UCSD...go for sure. I really believe that the undergrad does make a difference.

mmm....... san diego....can i do another undergrad before i start med school?