Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Undergradate School and Major????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ERMED, Mar 11, 2002.

1. ERMED

ERMED Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Everyone~

OK, here is my problem. I am a student at a JC, ready to transfer on to a 4 year institution. I am from California and I have the grades to go to a UC but I am thinkingof attending a CSU because of many reasons, not academically related. That CSU is, Fresno State. DO you guys think going to a CSU will minimize my chances of getting accepted to a med school? I aint looking for a top med school, because that doesnt matter, I justwant to get in, as I am sure most of you do. So what do you guys think? CSU Fresno over UCLA,UC Berkeley, UCI,UC D, UCSD, or UCR? I basically like Fresno because of the enviroment, the student body, closer to home and cheaper. Now, My major is Psychology, but I am also very interested in Bussiness Administration, with a specialty in Information Systems. Do you guys think that choosing a Bussiness/Psych major will affect my chances of getting in? I mean, dont get me wrong, I can do a Bio or chem major, but I just find this other 2 more interesting. What do you guys think? I hope to see many advices because I have to maje my decision soon, I have been accepted to the above schools and I need to make a decision.

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think your major is a good choice. You are a well-rounded applicant and will be able to offer something unique to med school. Most med schools do not care what your major is, and I think some like to see non-science majors.

I am double majoring in Spanish Lang & Lit and Latin American Studies and I love it (except for right now because I have to write a paper).

I don't know anything about Cali schools, but IMHO, I would recommend going to the best undergrad you can. Some people will say otherwise though.....here it comes.......

And I can't advise you on the JC situation, but you should talk to an advisor about it, don't rely on us :)

Buena suerte!

4. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i also think you should transfer to a UC.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D insipidus maximus
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't want to sound elitist or anything, but I think you're better off attending a UC, preferably Berkeley or UCLA. It's not impossible to get into medical school from a CSU, but medical schools do tend to be bias. Whatever your decision, just make sure you do really well on the MCAT and keep your grades high. Good luck.

6. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'
    7+ Year Member

I know that UC Berkeley has a high accpetance rate to med schools. I would say that if you get into UCLA, UC Berkeley, UCI or UCSD...go for sure. I really believe that the undergrad does make a difference.

7. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    mmm....... san diego....can i do another undergrad before i start med school?