Undergrads major for MOT or OTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bustedgrill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious what people are majoring in for undergrad. I'm currently in athletic training but thinking about switching to kinesiology.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just curious what people are majoring in for undergrad. I'm currently in athletic training but thinking about switching to kinesiology.

Thanks in advance!

I was a kinesiology major. I think it's an excellent major for Pre ot as many of your Pre requisites will be covered in great depth such as A&P 1 and 2. Also I was required to take classes such as motor learning, physics and exercise physiology for special populations. I also learned a lot about exercise programs for older adults. Also kinesiology is an ever changing field so you will learn so much about reading, analyzing and picking apart research articles and how to conduct and write up your own research articles. All great things for ot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kinesiology - Exercise Science. All the schools I interviewed at seemed to like my undergrad.

I took a different path, but it has prepared me for the field of rehabilitation and helping those in need. I got a B.S. in Human Services and Rehabilitation. Worked as a case manager for a mental health organization after college for one year and that gave me time to get all my ot observations, applications, etc.. and than I got into a MOT program. I'm working during my MOT as a program coordinator for a down syndrome organization. I had no problems at all they all liked that the degree was focused in rehabilitation and ot is an area of human services. I'm happy with the way it all turned out!

Last edited:
I have a degree in Public Relations and a minor in Psychology. I didn't decide on OT until last fall, but my psych minor helped me fulfill most of my Pre-reqs. As I was told by many schools, you can't major in OT so they don't expect you to. They just want their pre-reqs met. I think its great to be an exercise science major or something in the health field, but I think PR offered a diversity on my application and my high grades in the sciences shows I'm strong in multiple areas. I love my PR degree and if I had to do it over again, especially knowing what I do now, I wouldn't change a thing. It also offers me another field I can get a job in if I need to make extra money while in school.

That said, I will be attending NYU in the fall, which is a top school according to the rankings and I'm in love with their program. I can promise my major had very little to do with my acceptance. Focus on your letters, your essay, and your grades!

Flipflops what was your stats if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

Settled on health science. It was kinesiology briefly, so I have a few classes from that department as well. :)

I majored in Philosophy and minored in Religious Studies.

Human Development with a certificate in disability studies

I would get a degree that you could actually do something with if OT school doesn't work out or if you change your mind. Ot school is what's going to prepare you to be an OT. Not an undergraduate degree. A business degree is pretty valuable and versatile. And if you became an OT, you could use your business skills to open a practice, move into management positions, ect. An exercise science degree or kinesiology might help you get through OT school a little easier, but it certainly won't help you get a good job if you end up deciding grad school isn't for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I am undergrad in speech path and many of my classes have been very useful for prepping for OT school since it is an allied health major and sometimes you have to work alongside speech pathologists in the future

I think kinesiology and psychology would give you a good background. You could also look into recreation therapy. I majored in therapeutic recreation, and I only had to take 2 classes outside my major for prerequisites for ot school. It gives you a great background for the healthcare field, occupational therapy and it also gives you great experience in working with patients and residents. I loved my major, and I love working in therapeutic recreation right now! In the end, choose a major you think you will do well in. GPA matters a lot now, and I'm sure it will matter even more once you apply for grad school. Good luck!

I majored in Speech Communications with a speech language pathology concentration. I am hoping it stands out a bit! :)

I double majored in General Biology and Psychology. I think they're both super applicable to the field. I think having a double major may have helped me stand out as well. I haven't met that many people who have double majors. However, I have met people who are in OT programs who have majored in English and History! This leads me to believe it doesn't matter that much to admissions what major you chose. I think it's nice to major in something that would be applicable though.

lamo i remember this thread. blast from past.