Undergraduate clinical work or clinical experience in a US Indian Reservation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raihan Mirza

The Lone Rider
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really was thinking about gaining some clinical expereice by going to some foreign country such as Africa or China and gain some clinical experience at a third world country. However after researching the cost of making such a transaction, I realized that is not possible and it sis even more impossible since I have no clinical skills. So now I decided to take smaller steps. I decided to probably take such a big step as going to get some clinical experience at a third world country the summer before my junior year of undergrad when I can save enough money to make such a transaction. Before then I plan on getting some clinical skills and also gainn clinical experience at a Native American Reservation. Does anyone have any idea on how I can gain such an experience at a Native American Reservation?

Members don't see this ad.

I really was thinking about gaining some clinical expereice by going to some foreign country such as Africa or China and gain some clinical experience at a third world country. However after researching the cost of making such a transaction, I realized that is not possible and it sis even more impossible since I have no clinical skills. So now I decided to take smaller steps. I decided to probably take such a big step as going to get some clinical experience at a third world country the summer before my junior year of undergrad when I can save enough money to make such a transaction. Before then I plan on getting some clinical skills and also gainn clinical experience at a Native American Reservation. Does anyone have any idea on how I can gain such an experience at a Native American Reservation?

Go to the Indian Health Service (IHS) website or to the Department of Indian Affairs website. I am sure they can get you in touch with some local health clinics/centers on some reservations that may take volunteers. Best of luck to you on your search. :idea:

One of the reservations desperately needing medical professionals is Crow Creek Sioux reservation. Robert Douville at the Fort Thompson Indian Health Services ([email protected]) would be able to direct anyone who may be showing interest in working on that specific reservation. Its in central South Dakota. South Dakota has several reservations that are in great need of medical professionals. Since its not a "resort" setting with warm climate, few seem to want to do the work there. But it is the most needed community service that one can do in many aspects.