1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Undergraduate College and GPA Calculation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by spunk11, Aug 5, 2002.

1. spunk11

spunk11 Wishing for PCOM
    7+ Year Member

Hi All! Does anyone know if what undergraduate college you attend is somehow calculated into your GPA by admission committees? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Forensic Chick

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    From what I've heard, a 3.5 from Harvard and a 3.5 from a no-name state university is still a 3.5 GPA. Yes, some may say that Harvard is a better school than the no-name university -- but, coming from a non-name state university, I know that you have to work extra hard because the professors don't have a reputation to keep and have no problem failing you if you're not doing well. But, a bachelor's degree from Harvard just has a certain presence (for lack of a better word) and there's no denying that -- however I'm sure that they look at a 3.5 as a 3.5 -- maybe with some prejudice as to your undergrad institution. Just remember that there are many other parts to your application, besides GPA, that will help you show your potential as a doctor (ie: extra currics and letters of recommendation).

Good luck! :)

4. Claymore

Claymore Yankees Suck
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From what I have heard, the undergraduate institution does not play a major role, if any at all. Some schools may take it into account, but for the most part the MCAT is used as the great equalizer.

5. lady bug

7+ Year Member

I know of some schools in Florida that actually inflate or deflate your GPA based on what school you went to. So it does matter for certain schools. But there's tons of other factors to take into consideration- major, courseload, etc.

6. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

I've never heard if a GPA being changed depending on the school you attended, but I'm pretty sure the undergrad school you went to can hurt or help your chances of acceptance.

One school I interviewed at admitted that they have a formula and one consideration in the formula is the national ranking of the undergrad institution you went to.

7. spunk11

spunk11 Wishing for PCOM
    7+ Year Member

Fenrezz,

I also heard that rumor...

Thanks for everyone's input!

:) SPUNKY