Undergraduate Debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSmyth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am transferring as a junior from a pretty terrible (in my opinion) small liberal arts school to a larger, better school. If I transfer, I'll accumulate about 40,000 in debt over the course of the next two years. I'm sure a lot of you will tell me this is a bad idea, but did any of you accumulate debt as an undergrad? In my head it's almost justified because I cannot stand being at my current school any longer, and I think it would be beneficial to transfer and I would really enjoy it. Do you think the 40,000 from undergrad with med school debt on top will kill me? I really don't want to go to a cheap state school, I hate my home state. Did any of you guys go into debt for undergrad, if so how much?

Members don't see this ad.

It would make it easier on you if you could get a couple of scholarships, but either way, 40k of debt isn't abnormal by any stretch of the imagination. It's perfectly doable to take on another 150k+ for medical school. Will you be swimming in a pool of money straight out of school? Certainly not, but you won't be dirt poor living in the middle of the hood either. ;)

I am looking everywhere for external scholarships. The school I am transferring to offered me their maximum merit scholarship for transfers, but the financial aid is what's lacking. Can anybody recommend any good external scholarships to apply for? Anything for science majors specifically even?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking everywhere for external scholarships. The school I am transferring to offered me their maximum merit scholarship for transfers, but the financial aid is what's lacking. Can anybody recommend any good external scholarships to apply for? Anything for science majors specifically even?

FastWeb is a good place to start. I would start searching ASAP, because a lot of deadlines have passed or are close to passing for this coming academic year.

no, 40k of undergrad debt + med school debt is not impossible and it won't "kill" you. there are people who are much worse off and still make ends meet. I know people who had 60-70k debt from undergrad