Undergraduate degree in US but Pharmacy School in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AK2Pharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - I've been wondering about my situation for a while so I'm hoping some of you guys will either know the answer or be able to give me some tips on who to contact to get the answers.

I am a Canadian citizen who is currently attending a university in the States for my chemistry degree (I got an athletic scholarship, that's why I went there). Initially pharmacy was not in my plan but last summer I changed goals and decided on pharmacy. I want to come back to Canada (ideally U of T, but really it's just whatever I get into) to attend pharmacy school.

So what I'm curious about is how to grades transfer. I currently have a 3.9 GPA at my American school. That will drop in the coming years because I will be taking a lot more difficult and upper year courses. However at my school, and the majority of American schools, the GPA scale is a lot different from Canadian schools.

Approximate American School
4.0 (A) 93 - 100%
3.67 (A-) 90 - 93%
3.5 (B+) 87 - 90%
3.33 (B) 83 - 86%
etc.

Approximate Canadian School (using McMaster's Scale because it was the one I could find easily :p)
4.0 (A) - 93 - 100
3.9 - 84 - 92
3.7 - 73 - 83
etc.

So you can see the discrepancy right? Let's say I finish with a 3.8GPA - in the State's that's like a 92% average. In Canada - that's about an 84%.

Is there anyone who has gone through something like this before and how have they dealt with it? Or am I mistaken on any of my above figures? Or just any general recommendations or helpful suggestions would be much appreciated!! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.