Undergraduate Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkes45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled into my university's Health Sciences program, and I have talked to my advisor about this before, but she gave me a vague answer. I'm trying to decide whether I should stay with my current undergraduate or switch to a Biology degree. I just don't know if it will make that much of a difference to medical schools or not. My advisor claims that with a Health Sciences degree, I can branch out anywhere with it. But considering the school implemented the program only a couple years ago, I have my doubts. Any thoughts?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

We don't care what your degree is in, only that you excel in your coursework.

Major in what interests you the most, NOT what you think interests us.

I am currently enrolled into my university's Health Sciences program, and I have talked to my advisor about this before, but she gave me a vague answer. I'm trying to decide whether I should stay with my current undergraduate or switch to a Biology degree. I just don't know if it will make that much of a difference to medical schools or not. My advisor claims that with a Health Sciences degree, I can branch out anywhere with it. But considering the school implemented the program only a couple years ago, I have my doubts. Any thoughts?:confused:

Your major does not matter. Fulfill the pre-reqs for the schools you want to apply to and major in anything you want.

While keeping the broad application requirements in mind (shadowing, volunteering), try to do things you're interested in, not things that sound like they would make adcoms happy. You'll be a better applicant for it.