Undergraduate GPA and the Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OCPreMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched for this and found no answers thus here it is..

Will my undergraduate GPA have any role in matching? My gut feeling and intuition tells me it ought not to because it will be at least 4 years old and irrelevant at the point in time I am going to match... however, I have come to the realization that a lot of irrelevant things are taken into consideration throughout medical admissions processes...

If anyone is wondering how come I even care to bring this up, I am fortunate to be accepted to the class of 2011 and I am currently finishing up my last semester.. I could coast through with some B's or take it seriously and finish with all A's..

Thanks in advance for all of your feedback. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

Will my undergraduate GPA have any role in matching? My gut feeling and intuition tells me it ought not to because it will be at least 4 years old and irrelevant at the point in time I am going to match... however, I have come to the realization that a lot of irrelevant things are taken into consideration throughout medical admissions processes...

If anyone is wondering how come I even care to bring this up, I am fortunate to be accepted to the class of 2011 and I am currently finishing up my last semester.. I could coast through with some B's or take it seriously and finish with all A's..

Does the OC in your name stand for Orange County or Obsessive-Compulsive?

just kidding

Once you start medical school, the grim reaper visits your home and consumes your undergraduate transcript.

Too bad I can't take my MCAT score with me since prospects don't look great for my step 1.

FYI: some specialties do require undergrad transcripts...i had to send 2 official copies of undergrad transcripts, however most of the programs don't require them.

The believe the SF Match (ophtho, GU, maybe neurosurgery...someone else will chime in) require an undergraduate transcript. However I can't imagine it plays a huge role in how you match.

The believe the SF Match (ophtho, GU, maybe neurosurgery...someone else will chime in) require an undergraduate transcript. However I can't imagine it plays a huge role in how you match.

Whooooops. Maybe I should actually care about this semester then :D . Too late! Last final is in a day.

Here's what the CAS (Common Application Service) Instructions for the SF Match say:

"The CAS procedure makes you (the applicant) responsible for assembling ALL support
documents. You are REQUIRED to submit the following documents to consider your
application COMPLETE:
• Completed and signed CAS Application Forms
• CAS Distribution List and Payment
• College Transcript(s)
• Medical School Transcript(s)
• USMLE Scores or equivalent score reports
• ECFMG Certificate (applicable to International Graduates)
• Three (3) letters of reference
• Dean’s letter (applicable to Graduates)"

I will also point out again that, on my Ortho interviews, I was asked for my undergrad GPA, MCAT score, and even SAT score. And no, as far as I can tell, no one seems to know what importance (if any) programs place on these numbers.

Here's what the CAS (Common Application Service) Instructions for the SF Match say:

"The CAS procedure makes you (the applicant) responsible for assembling ALL support
documents. You are REQUIRED to submit the following documents to consider your
application COMPLETE:
• Completed and signed CAS Application Forms
• CAS Distribution List and Payment
• College Transcript(s)
• Medical School Transcript(s)
• USMLE Scores or equivalent score reports
• ECFMG Certificate (applicable to International Graduates)
• Three (3) letters of reference
• Dean’s letter (applicable to Graduates)"

I will also point out again that, on my Ortho interviews, I was asked for my undergrad GPA, MCAT score, and even SAT score. And no, as far as I can tell, no one seems to know what importance (if any) programs place on these numbers.
What goes into the Dean's letter that's not in 3 letters of reference?

The LORs are typically from doctors that you worked under (or from Drs/PhDs that you did research for). They usually talk about how you did on your rotations, and are more like LORs you'd get from a prof for med school. The dean's letter typically contains more info about your academic performance, ranking (if your school has it), etc.

The Dean's Letter is monster, and is nothing like the "Premed Composite Letter". It contains a summary of your grades, clinical evaluations, personal motivation, honors and awards, and overall explanation of the grading scheme your school uses. It is not a rubber stamp talking about how great you are; many people actually end up with mediocre or even negative Dean's Letters.

At my school, written evaluations from every course and rotation were included in the letter verbatim.

As far as I know (lowly MSI), no. It would be great if they did though! :laugh:

The Dean's Letter is monster, and is nothing like the "Premed Composite Letter". It contains a summary of your grades, clinical evaluations, personal motivation, honors and awards, and overall explanation of the grading scheme your school uses. It is not a rubber stamp talking about how great you are; many people actually end up with mediocre or even negative Dean's Letters.

At my school, written evaluations from every course and rotation were included in the letter verbatim.
wait i don't understand. How is that different from a 'premed composite letter?' In my experience, my premedical advisory committee's cover letter (referred to here as the cover letter, or Dean's letter) talks about exactly the points that you mentioned. Before they write the letter for us, they have us fill out a HUUUUGE questionnaire about med school. In the letter, they talk about our personal experiences, motivations, which classes made what impact on us, etc.

Ok, it doesn't include evaluations from every course, but it does contain snippets of every LOR that you submit to the premed office. In addition, the letter doesn't recommend everyone equally for medical school--there is definately a hierarchy of 'enthusiasm' in the level of recommendation each person receives.

In this way, aren't the two very similar? I'm just wondering...

Ok, it doesn't include evaluations from every course, but it does contain snippets of every LOR that you submit to the premed office. In addition, the letter doesn't recommend everyone equally for medical school--there is definately a hierarchy of 'enthusiasm' in the level of recommendation each person receives.

In this way, aren't the two very similar? I'm just wondering...

I guess from that perspective, yes, it is similar. I was thinking of the premed composite letter as a amalgamation of your LORs. The Dean's letter has nothing to do with your LoRs, and information from them is not contained in the letter (my school, anyway).