Undergraduate GPA vs Graduate GPA when applying to dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnz2

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I have applied to dental school this year and had a question - My undergraduate GPA is below average for admissions but I scored really well in my course based masters program (3.9), I know dental schools have a more holistic approach when looking at applicants, but I am just wondering will a lower Undergraduate GPA hold me back a lot? I have 21AA/21TS on my DAT and over 1500 hours of volunteer work and shadowing.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends when it was; was it last year or 10 years ago. Also I think they weigh the science/prereqs courses more. I did well in my graduate and pre-req courses - which is what they want to see that you can do science at a high level. My DAT was lower and my gpa was <3.0. So in school there were LOTS (if not all) who had better incoming stats - and about 5/100 failed out. So stats serve as a filter but aren't indicative of success.

Getting in to school is way harder than dental school itself. And dental school is harder than actually being a dentist. Go figure

Depends when it was; was it last year or 10 years ago. Also I think they weigh the science/prereqs courses more. I did well in my graduate and pre-req courses - which is what they want to see that you can do science at a high level. My DAT was lower and my gpa was <3.0. So in school there were LOTS (if not all) who had better incoming stats - and about 5/100 failed out. So stats serve as a filter but aren't indicative of success.

Getting in to school is way harder than dental school itself. And dental school is harder than actually being a dentist. Go figure
I graduated undergrad in 2019 and am finishing my masters this december. And its great to see someone who got in after graduate school! Congrats! I agree with what you said about stats not being indicative of success, thanks a lot for your input :)