1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Undergraduate Institution & GPA

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Stanford Fencer, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Stanford Fencer

Stanford Fencer Senior Member

Hello all future dentist buddies!!!

Just a quick question... I don't have a stellar GPA, but I am wondering if schools take into account the undergraduate institution attended? Might that make up for some less than impressive performance? Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vixen

vixen I like members

I don't think they take that into too much consideration. What is your gpa? If it's bad, they would wonder why you didn't go to an "easier" school, worked harder and got better grades. What are your stats?

4. Stanford Fencer

Stanford Fencer Senior Member

Hey thanks for the input... I have a 3.4 overall, but I think that my science hovers around 3.1? I have yet to take the DAT, but on the Topscore Pro stuff, I'm consistently hitting 19's on all sections...
    wonder how close this is to the real thing.

5. Hmmm....I'm not sure where you got that from. Why would they wonder why you didn't go to an "easier" school? Anyway, assuming all other things are equal, being a Stanford Grad will help you. I know many UC Grads with similiar stats that got into excellent dental schools. Just make sure you don't bomb the DAT.

6. Future AZ DDS

Future AZ DDS Junior Member

That is absolutely absurd to think a dental school will wonder why you didn't go to an easier school. I went to a Top 25 school and it certainly does not hurt, sometimes schools will add .1 or .2 to your overall GPA or subtract .1 or .2 as well. They will never admit this but it happens.

The Top Score is harder than the real thing for sure. I was scoring around 18, and got a 21. Good luck.

7. vixen

vixen I like members

Sorry Sorry Sorry!!! I made a mistake...I think I was typing without thinking...it happens ya know? I am sorry ;)