Undergraduate Institution Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScaryName

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but would me going to a med school for my undergraduate negatively affect my admissions when applying to other Medical schools. I go to a notorious medical schools, undergraduate wise (I only applied to this school), so would this raise any red flags for the admission committee, Med or MSTP?

By the way, this is my first post.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but would me going to a med school for my undergraduate negatively affect my admissions when applying to other Medical schools. I go to a notorious medical schools, undergraduate wise (I only applied to this school), so would this raise any red flags for the admission committee, Med or MSTP?

What does this even mean? How are you attending a medical school for undergrad?

What does this even mean? How are you attending a medical school for undergrad?
Sorry. What I mean is that, I am going to a college that has it's own medical program. The program is good, but the undergraduate institution, can't be described as such.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry. What I mean is that, I am going to a college that has it's own medical program. The program is good, but the undergraduate institution, can't be described as such.
I don't think it matters, at all.

I still don't understand the question. You're asking if an undergrad being less prestigious than its graduate programs will impact your odds?

I still don't understand the question. You're asking if an undergrad being less prestigious than its graduate programs will impact your odds?
Yes. That's what I'm asking. For both the Med and MSTP committee at other schools.

Yes. That's what I'm asking. For both the Med and MSTP committee at other schools.
Are you asking if being from an unknown undergrad in general is bad for you? Or if relative prestige between undergrad and med can cause a problem? Should probably just name the university and treat this account as a throwaway!

Are you asking if being from an unknown undergrad in general is bad for you? Or if relative prestige between undergrad and med can cause a problem? Should probably just name the university and treat this account as a throwaway!
Sorry, for the late response. Let's say that I go to the Virginia Commonwealth. Would that appear negatively for any committee. I'm not saying that it's a bad school in the least, but if I'm applying to a top 25 school..

Also yes, I'm asking if the relative prestige between undergrad and med school can cause a problem.

Sorry, for the late response. Let's say that I go to the Virginia Commonwealth. Would that appear negatively for any committee. I'm not saying that it's a bad school in the least, but if I'm applying to a top 25 school..

Also yes, I'm asking if the relative prestige between undergrad and med school can cause a problem.
No, that literally makes no sense. Why would that be your problem?

Reactions: 1 users
No.... you can go to harvard from VCU if you get the grades, MCAT score, and ECs to match. I went to a notoriously poor academic undergrad and have a classmate at a top10 med school

Reactions: 1 user

My undergrad is known more for its notoriously obnoxious fans, STD rumors, and raucous parties than it is for academics. However, there are quite a few of our alumni at top medical schools. They all had outstanding selection factors, which seems to be more indicative of success than the name on your degree. I myself was a decent applicant and had no trouble finding myself in the "predicament" of having to choose from many solid options this past spring.

Work extremely hard, do well, and be a decent human. That will go further for you than a piece of paper that says you played 6 instruments, was captain of the soccer team, and won the state championship for your debate team in high school.

I was unaware LUCOM opened an undergrad institution.

No. Why would you even think this???????

What would raise suspicions is your inability to ask coherent questions.