Undergraduate Letters and Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FollisRenatus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I applied this cycle (total mess, no idea what I was doing), and now I'm waitlisted at one school. I figure I've little to no chance of getting in, and I don't think I've improved enough during the application cycle. I'm thinking that the best choice for me now is to apply for the 2013 cycle while working on my application.

However, I noticed that a great number of schools required letters from undergraduate professors. Recent ones, too. I'm already one year out from graduation at the moment: if I wait until next year to reapply, will I still need these letters? What happens if I am unable to get these letters? Am I just out of luck for these schools?

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks,

So I applied this cycle (total mess, no idea what I was doing), and now I'm waitlisted at one school. I figure I've little to no chance of getting in, and I don't think I've improved enough during the application cycle. I'm thinking that the best choice for me now is to apply for the 2013 cycle while working on my application.

Yes, i think it would be more beneficial to apply for the 2013 cycle. You can use the time to improve your apps either by taking classes or improving your MCAT (if you need it).

However, I noticed that a great number of schools required letters from undergraduate professors. Recent ones, too. I'm already one year out from graduation at the moment: if I wait until next year to reapply, will I still need these letters? What happens if I am unable to get these letters? Am I just out of luck for these schools?

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yes even though you have been out of school, you are still required to submit letters from science professor. This can be either undergraduate professor or graduate / post-bac if you choose to take additional class.