undergraduate loans! paying back AND applying/going to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

pharmacy_yay

I completed an associates degree at a CC and am now going to a state university for another three years and then will apply to meds school during that last year. (i complete my degree in two years w/summer quarters+ a fall quarter and have opted to stay for the remainder of that third year as a post bacc).

Thankfully, the CC saved my parents and me $$$$

The remainder of my time in undergrad will be payed for by whatever scholarships I get plus Direct Loans under my name and my parents. I will "pocket" some excess $$$ from loans for those greedy AMCAS people when I apply and also secondaries.

I read the following on the Direct Loan website:

11 Can I ever postpone making loan payments?
Yes, under some conditions you may receive a deferment or forbearance that allows you to temporarily stop making payments. For example, you may qualify for a deferment if you return to school at least half-time, are unemployed, or are experiencing an economic hardship as defined in federal regulations. If you don't qualify for a deferment but are temporarily unable to make loan payments for reasons such as illness or financial hardship, we may grant you a forbearance.

Is it possible to not payback any loans whatsoever (including undergrad) until after medical school? Please someone tell me.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, if you go to postgraduate school (i.e., medical school, law school, master's degree, etc.) you can defer your loan until you are out of school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got 50,000 in undergrad/grad loans that I'm happily going to defer till after med school.

Hell you can even get unemployment deferrment.

I've got 50,000 in undergrad/grad loans that I'm happily going to defer till after med school.

Hell you can even get unemployment deferrment.

Mine will be about 50k after this year as well. I'm kinda dreading what it will become after med school. :scared:

you can defer your stafford and perkins, but you may not be able to defer some non-federal loans. be sure to check if you can defer before you sign!

I have three years undergrad left and then will apply the end of that third year. The loans my parents and I are using are:

"Direct Loans: William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program"
under me- "direct subsidized loan"
my parents:"Direct PLUS loans"

I'm actually going to pay the PLUS loan for my parents, its just under their name. I don't want them to start repaying after I finish undergrad. Does anyone have any info about getting PLUS loans deffered until after medical school?

I'm going to make a phone call now as well.

I hate the bold and enlarged lettering.

On another note, I am in the same situation. My mom has 30k in loans for me and I would rather have those put off. If not, I guess my little brother will have to live without that heart surgery.

Medical schools have financial aid advisors that do nothing but this. Find one and ask him/her if you want a good answer.

But ... there's always a but ... my wife had federal loans from undergrad that we deferred through medical school. I can't remember if the interest was subsidized or not, but she didn't pay a dime while in medical school. She had to begin repayment during residency because she didn't qualify for a forbearance (made to much as a resident respective to her debt). Some of her classmates were able to defer through residency and didn't start repayment until they were completely out on their own.