Undergraduate Major Change, will it be brought up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GypsyHummus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently just changed my undergrad degree from a BS in Bio to a BA in Communications. Do you think that this change will be brought up in interviews, and if so, what would be the best way to explain the change?

I am worried that the adcom will think that this degree is much easier than my bio one was, and hold it against me, but in reality, I wanted to major in something I enjoyed.

Please let me know your thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I recently just changed my undergrad degree from a BS in Bio to a BA in Communications. Do you think that this change will be brought up in interviews, and if so, what would be the best way to explain the change?

I am worried that the adcom will think that this degree is much easier than my bio one was, and hold it against me, but in reality, I wanted to major in something I enjoyed.

They won't even know you changed your major.

Well, what reason did you have to change? Use that. If it was that it was simply because it was easier, the ADCOM would be correct, right? Or are you asking us to make up a good excuse for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
They won't even know you changed your major.
Probably not, but some colleges do show your major quarter to quarter on the transcript, which I will admit is far fetched for an ADCOM to see.

Probably not, but some colleges do show your major quarter to quarter on the transcript, which I will admit is far fetched for an ADCOM to see.

Oh.. I didn't know that. If that's the case at your school, OP, then you might be asked about it. Even then, you'd probably only be asked if your grades in upper level bio were low before you switched.

Oh.. I didn't know that. If that's the case at your school, OP, then you might be asked about it. Even then, you'd probably only be asked if your grades in upper level bio were low before you switched.

I actually havent taken any upper levels yet.

Just as they don't care what you major in in the first place, they therefore wouldn't care if you switched as well.

If they did, then it would be hypocritical.

I changed my major and managed to get in. You'll be ok.

Just as they don't care what you major in in the first place, they therefore wouldn't care if you switched as well.

If they did, then it would be hypocritical.

They might care if you pull Cs in upper level bio then switch from BS Biology to BA Communications.

They might care if you pull Cs in upper level bio then switch from BS Biology to BA Communications.

Yeah, I've only done the first year, didnt like the plant stuff, and just decided to take the prerecs.

Science GPA is low, but salvageable with the remaining classes I need to take, so I figured why not major in something I enjoy. It is alot easier though.

Yeah, I've only done the first year, didnt like the plant stuff, and just decided to take the prerecs.

Science GPA is low, but salvageable with the remaining classes I need to take, so I figured why not major in something I enjoy. It is alot easier though.

Do something you enjoy. It's fun at least :)

I don't recall it ever being brought up at any interview I was on. I think a change in mahor makes you more interesting. Bio majors are aplenty. Comm majors, rare!

One of my DO colleagues was a Drama major, another in English.

Diversity is a good thing!

If it is brought up, just tell the truth.

Hey everyone,