Undergraduate Major???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QHamp

Armstrong Fan
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating highschool and looking to attend our local college with the hopes of eventually becoming an MD. The biggest challenge I face is choosing my major. I would like get my BSN, but have heard that med schools prefer degrees in chemistry and biology.

Anybody got ideas???

Thanks,
Quinn

Members don't see this ad.

Choose something that you are going to enjoy studying for the next four years. Take the general pre-med courses (1 year chem, 1 year organic chem, 1 year physics, 1 year bio and some math and english), and then aside from that, choose a major that interests you. If you don't know what interests you yet, take a variety of courses your first year and you are bound to stumble into something you enjoy. But med schools do not prefer one major over another. In fact, most like to see a wide range of majors among their applicants. It shows that they can relate to matters other than science. But if science is what interests you, go for that...I am sorry if I am confusing, but the main point is to pick something you are interested in. Med schools will not penalize you for your major.

I majored in Computer Science, but took all the pre-med stuff after college. As the previous post said, you can major in whatever you want, so long as you have a solid background in the sciences.

Members don't see this ad :)
that's an idea for *another* list....undergraduate majors...just interested in what everyone majored or is majoring in.

I did a Physics/Math program. I don't think it hurt me at all. Schools like to see diversity.

I think there might have been a preference for Bio/Chem students twenty years ago. I don't think that's the case anymore. Just do something you find interesting, and something you can get a decent GPA in.

my major was..Veterinary Science...I was pre-veterinary before going med, although I didn't reach that decision for a few years after...

My sister wanted to be a vet for a while, too. Now she's a first year surgical resident.

Pick what you will do best in and what will interest you the most. As long as you do well in you required courses you won't have a problem. Besides I think that being different is looked upon favorably.

"The biggest challenge I face is choosing my major"

Just wait till AMCAS gets ya!!!

Haha...you have a lot more to worry about right now than choosing a major. Focus on other things :)

Your undergrad major should be in something you will enjoy, but also do well in. I chose biochemistry/ biophysics because I have an interest in the subject. I have had to work me A$$ off to maintain a 3.79, but that was my choice. I worked with an ER doc two summers ago that graduated with a major in Spanish; science need not be the emphasis of you major. Just be certain you take the necessary science course and do well.
Good Luck

-Rob

I agree with what other posters have said and I'll add more to that. I think one reason that the majority of pre-meds actually have a biology/biochem/chem major is that it fits in well with the pre-requisites for med school. The core is technically all that you need, but there are several classes that will help you with your MCAT and med school that aren't core classes. There are an awful lot of variables in your decisions. I'll restate that you need to get into a major that you are interested in, and one that won't necessarily keep you in school an extra two years just trying to squeeze in the reqs for your major and med school...unless you are into that kind of thing. Just my opinion!

Pick whatever major you want to study, and then make sure you do your pre-reqs for med school.

Personally I love Biomedical Sciences and Psycholgoy that's why I have the doiuble major going. Not that it's anything special doing a double major, I just really like both areas.

I agree with the above post. If you like or are good at a science, go for it. You will be more prepared for the MCAT. Although they say you only need the basic 4 sciences, the advance courses help to reinforce the basic concepts, so you can do better. I am a Bio major and Chem minor, and when it came to studying for Bio and Chem on the MCATs, it was easy cause I had the basics down so well, cause we went over them in every class. Take advance courses in anything you can, for example, I took a Biophysics course to further pound the basics of physics in my head. Just my opinion.

Nero

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to say the same exact thing as megkudos. Pick a major that you will do well in, and that fulfills the med school requirements.

ok, i'm not sure where all this stuff about needing to be a science major comes from. i am a psych major, and i was, in my opinion, very well-prepared for the MCATs. i enjoyed my classes and believe that is what everybody needs to worry about most when choosing a major. do not do chem/bio if it's not something you love. at most schools at least, you'll regret the day you made that decision if you don't love it, and instead you'll end up with a senior year where you are rushing to finish the major you switched into!
btw, as i write this, i've been accepted to several schools and had plenty of interviews, which is presumably what you were worried about without a science major. PLEASE, though--make sure not to stress out too much but just do well!

I always seem to have a different viewpoint than the rest of the posters. I do agree for the most part your major doesn't really matter, however, there are two things I must say to qualify that.

First, take for exampe chemistry. Chemistry is a very difficult major, compared to most. If you were to choose something like Education as your major, be aware that you will probably need to keep your GPA higher than those applying out of a difficult science program like chemistry.

Secondly, non-science majors provide much much less info for the MCAT. Again, if you were to major in chemistry, you would have biochem, which would help on the MCAT. Likewise, if you were to major in biology, you would have genetics which would help, too. If you major in psychology, there will be zero help for the MCAT.

With that said, I still think it's important to pick what you like as a major. If you get stuck in something you hate, you will not do as well...plus, there's no guarantee getting a ticket to med school, even as it's getting slightly less competitive these days (so I've heard). So you don't want a degree in a job you don't like.

Math major

1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Computer Science
2 Math
1 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

For me, physics, the fundamental science, and math, the center of everything in the known universe.

1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Computer Science
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

BA in Journalism, emph. Photojournalism

1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Computer Science
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

History... because I love learning it and also it is a great balance with the science classes. I will probably also end up with a bio/genetics minor. If you are at all concerned about burnout I would suggest considering majoring in a non-science.

1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Computer Science
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

You know I can't refrain from contributing to a list!!!

...adding chemistry...

1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
1 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

Ay! There has got to be a biology major somewhere on this site. Hmmm...

Originally posted by Original:
•Ay! There has got to be a biology major somewhere on this site. Hmmm...•••

"Someone's been sleeping in my bed and here he is!!"

Adding one for the Biology department. ;)

I forgot to put the list on my last post, so here it is:

1 Biology
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
1 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

Well, for my first year of college, I was the typical pre-med majoring in Biology with a minor in Chemistry. After a C in my first quarter of general chem (I hate chemistry), I decided against that minor. I have a strong interest in criminal justice, so I found a loophole in the system, called a special major, in which I was able to integrate all of my pre-med classes (1 year biology/chemistry/organic chemistry/physics) and the criminal justice classes I enjoy into a Forensic Science Major. Talk about the best of both worlds. Take the classes that you like and enjoy the college experience!! There are many programs where you can take all of your pre-med requirements post-bacc.

-- adding one (and probably the only) Forensic Science --

1 Biology
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
1 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

I can't believe that I'm first. If I am the only one, I'll be disappointed. Come on, folks, where's the sense of adventure. Tally one up for ENGLISH! (Note: I have NEVER felt that the schools (by which I guess I mean my interviewers)questioned my ability to do basic science coursework -- for any poets and playwrights out there....you don't have to follow the hoards of science majors!)

1 Biology
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
1 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science[/QB][/QUOTE]

Adding Chemistry. Where in the world are all the biology majors???? :rolleyes:

1 Biology
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

I have to disagree with the above posters who thought that a biology or chemistry degree puts one at an advantage for the MCAT. As an English major, I felt I was at a strong advantage, and not just for the verbal section. Additionally, at two of my interviews, my interviewers were former English majors; one of them said he thought "all premeds should be English majors" and the other told me that in a few years, what I know about Shakespeare will be more important that what I know about organic chemistry. I certainly don't mean to disparage science majors, but as a premed, the OP shouldn't feel obligated to stick to the sciences, for the MCATs or any other reason.

Ok, there HAVE to be more bio majors out there! Adding myself to the list...

2 Biology
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

Biology(cuz I love it)10321
posted December 22, 2001 12:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Biology
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

I majored in Zoology because I loved the subject matter, not because I thought it was going to give me an advantage when I applied to med school....I do wish I would have minored in Spanish and not Chemistry, though.

3 Biology
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science[/QB][/QUOTE]
1 Zoology

Business! all science classes post-bac - didn't hurt me on the MCAT at all :)

3 Biology
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Business
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science
1 Zoology

It's all about Psychobiology. You get a strong science background, and you get to pad your gpa with a ton of psychology courses. Psych majors do not tend to be nearly as competitive as premeds. The only negative aspect of Psychobio is that you will inevitably have to write papers, and read alot of text.

3 Biology
1 Biomedical Science
1 Business
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
2 Psychobiology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science
1 Zoology

no biochemistry on the list? adding biochem.

3 Biology
1 Biochemistry
1 Biomedical Science
1 Business
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
2 Psychobiology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science
1 Zoology[/QB][/QUOTE]

A Thank -you to everyone for your replies.
As far as choosing an area of study that I enjoy....I tend to be a science nut, anyhow. I have an entire stack of science books, and spend a good portion of my spare time reading (To my family's much amusement).

A friend of our family who heard I had an interest in the medical field suggested I get my CNA traing, and "feel out the field". I just completed my training and, so far, have really enjoyed the area of medicine I'm allowed to participate in. (Hey - somebody has to give the baths!) :) Hopefully, by getting my BSN, I could still work in nursing while going through med school.

Once again, thanks to all, and if you have anything else to add, please do - I'm soakin' it all in.

Quinn

Originally posted by alice:
•Come on, folks, where's the sense of adventure. Tally one up for ENGLISH!•••

If I could turn back time, I'd be an English major as well. The real reason I quoted you was because I thought you should know that after the "Where's the sense of adventure." there should be a question mark. ;) (I have a few good friends who are English teachers, and I love catching their typos and slips also :) )

My undergrad majors are biology, psychology and classics. Interested in all three and couldn't settle down for just one. Not an overachiever, just had no clue what I wanted to do as a freshman and by the time I decided, I was more than halfway done in two of my majors. Would have been a chemistry major had the upper level classes not sounded so boring. And would have been a psychobiology/neuropsychology/neuroscience major or exercise kinesthesiology major too if my school was large enough to offer it! So I guess I get to add three to the list?

4 Biology
1 Biochemistry
1 Biomedical Science
1 Business
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Classics
1 Computer Science
2 Forensic Science
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
2 Psychology
2 Psychobiology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science
1 Zoology

Couldn't help myself, had to add to the list....

Major: Computer science and Biology....but i'll consider myself Comp Sci only because its the major i really enjoyed

4 Biology
1 Biochemistry
1 Biomedical Science
1 Business
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Classics
2 Computer Science
2 Forensic Science
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
2 Psychology
2 Psychobiology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science
1 Zoology

:cool:

One more for Biology

2 Biology
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

One vote for Education!

2 Biology
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 Education
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

Add one more biology, and I'll correct the list.

5 Biology
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 Education
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

Originally posted by Jamier2:

If I could turn back time, I'd be an English major as well. The real reason I quoted you was because I thought you should know that after the "Where's the sense of adventure." there should be a question mark. ;) (I have a few good friends who are English teachers, and I love catching their typos and slips also :) )•••

Me too! If I could do it again, I'll double major in Math and English. Math is good! It helps rewire one's brain. English is totally cool; I think I would have 1oved reading all that neat stuff and having to analyse and write tons of papers.

Ok, first i'm going to add back the biochemistry major which somehow disappeared . . . then I'll add myself to that biochem slot . . .

5 Biology
2 Biochemistry
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 Education
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

Hell yeah biochem! It's the perfect science combo (once you get over memorizing multiple metabolic pathways!) :)

5 Biology
3 Biochemistry
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 Education
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

Originally posted by English Chick:
•I have to disagree with the above posters who thought that a biology or chemistry degree puts one at an advantage for the MCAT. As an English major, I felt I was at a strong advantage, and not just for the verbal section. Additionally, at two of my interviews, my interviewers were former English majors; one of them said he thought "all premeds should be English majors" and the other told me that in a few years, what I know about Shakespeare will be more important that what I know about organic chemistry. I certainly don't mean to disparage science majors, but as a premed, the OP shouldn't feel obligated to stick to the sciences, for the MCATs or any other reason.•••

I'm just saying that you learn more MCAT material in a bio major than you do in an English major. You become more familiar with it.

Originally posted by Original:
•Me too! If I could do it again, I'll double major in Math and English.•••

Oh Original you disappoint me. ;) Just when I thought I might like you, I look down to see that Duke thing in your quote. ;) I just can't believe UK let them win the other night. (I actually thought UK did much better than I expected them to. I love UK with all my heart, but I gotta give Duke credit this year, they're pretty darn good.)

After my first quarter of college, I've already changed my major from Biology to Asian American Studies.

I won't really start on my major until my Junior year, so I figure my major isn't important yet - I just love the AAS dept. (especially the counselors).

1 Asian American Studies
5 Biology
3 Biochemistry
1 Biomedical Science
1 Biopsychology
1 Chemical Engineering
2 Chemistry
1 Computer Science
1 Forensic Science
1 Education
1 English
1 History
1 Journalism
3 Math
2 Physics
1 Psychology
1 Spanish
1 Veterinary Science

Somehow the numbers got messed up on the middle of page 3. Somebody cut and pasted a really old list....among other changes the bio majors dropped from 4 to 2 and the psychobios dropped from 2 to 1.

I am rather new to this site, but I'll add my major this way. Maybe someone would be kind enough to tally one up for--Biochemistry/Biophysics!!
Thanks-Rob