Undergraduate Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhisle0932

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that your undergraduate major is not really important in applying to OT schools. However, would a degree in Environmental Health Sciences be looked down upon? I have taken most of the prereqs for many OT schools and have received high grades.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think so. Apply broadly and ask if there is a preference.

There might be a preference if you are applying to the high end programs like Columbia. I am guessing on that--not applying there.

My state schools dont care.

I know some schools prefer certain undergrad degrees, so I would suggest calling and asking. Better to be safe than sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad was in Advertising with a business minor, and I was accepted into 2 MOT programs, and asked to interview at 3 others (didn't go bc I had already been accepted elsewhere). I would say it really doesn't matter.

I agree that major doesn't matter. I majored in economics and was accepted everywhere I applied. Just make sure that you do well in the prerequisite courses, have sufficient volunteer experience, and show that you have a passion for OT.

3.9 prereqs and 3.8ish cumulative

They only care about your GPA, I think. Not your major.

Last edited:
They only care about your GPA, I think.

This is partially true. If you have a great gpa but have a terrible interview and can't express why you want to do OT im sure you wont get accepted. Volunteering is also a big part of it.

I did a BS in Human Services.. I start my MOT in August and the department at my university for OT is actual called College of Health and Human Services, OT is a health and a human service career.. the helping field.

Last edited:
I did a BS in Human Services.. I start my MOT in August and the department at my university for OT is actual called College of Health and Human Services, OT is a health and a human service career.. the helping field.

Me too got a human services type degree in rehabilitation! My counselor had told me human services was a good route for occupational therapy it's in the helping field got in a MSOT just fine!

Last edited: