Undergraduate majors for pre-meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trebor1414

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am debating between majoring in Biochemistry and Bioengineering and am wondering if it will make a difference in getting into a med school. I've heard that an engineering major with a high gpa is most impressive... is it true?
I am currently in a competitive Bioengineering program and am starting to realize that I really don't like the engineering aspect of the degree. And I could basically get my degree in BioChem after taking a couple pchem courses, but to continue with the Bioengineering I would have to take another two years of engineering classes that I don't like... Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I think many will agree here that if you don't like the bioengineering, switch into something YOU LIKE, not what you think will impress the adcoms. Just major in what you like, if it happens to be biochem, major int hat, and get the highest gpa you can. Don't set your goal as "oh, this gpa as a bioengineer was tough to get, so maybe adcoms will give me brownie points for engineering, so i'll stick with that". You don't even have to be in the science departments...

I am debating between majoring in Biochemistry and Bioengineering and am wondering if it will make a difference in getting into a med school. I've heard that an engineering major with a high gpa is most impressive... is it true?
I am currently in a competitive Bioengineering program and am starting to realize that I really don't like the engineering aspect of the degree. And I could basically get my degree in BioChem after taking a couple pchem courses, but to continue with the Bioengineering I would have to take another two years of engineering classes that I don't like... Any advice?

they key is "with a high GPA." engineering courses are hard enough as is....if you dont like what your are learning, you are basically setting yourself for failure/regret.

get out...NOW. don't take courses you don't enjoy...its pointless. 2 more years of courses you dont want to take? cmon dude that sounds like torture. be a biochem major if thats what you want, no one will care either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should switch. No reason to suffer in ugrad through long senior projects and labs for something that makes you miserable. It's hard enough for people that actually enjoy engineering.

As a bioengineering major, I would suggest getting out. You will NOT get good grades if you don't like the engineering part of it. Its just that simple. I've seen people go into this major because of its reputation and not because of their interest and it has masacred their GPA. Don't let that happen to you.

I would major in using the search function. This would help with any other general questions you may have that have been answered thousands of times.

Last edited:

No and No.
Med schools DO NOT CARE what you major in. There will be folks who don't even major in sciences who have as easy a time of getting into med school as you. Med schools these days want a well rounded class of both science and nonscience majors. The days where there was any advantage of being a bio/biochem/bioengineer major ended in the 1980s. Wherever you are hearing these things is a place you should stop listening to.

well I did hear that biomedical engineering was the major that medical schools ACCEPTED THE MOST for past year in medical school, more than biology even...so it is impressive

BUT DO SOMETHING YOU LIKE SINCE ULTIMATELY THAT WILL DETERMINE YOUR FATE

I would major in using the search function. This would help with any other general questions you may help that have been answered thousands of times.

Maybe you should major in pissing off. Pointing out the obvious doesn't stop new people from making the same mistakes.

For me, I went in to Bioengineering and then realized I liked Biochemistry more... but it was already too late so I had to complete my Bioengineering degree. If I could do it again, I'd definitely go with Biochemistry again.

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT major in something you dont enjoy, you will be miserable and adcoms will see through that.

major in something you enjoy, whether its english or biology or spanish... honestly, no one gives a crap about the kind of undergraduate major, rather its your experience as a whole and if you can do well in the prereqs.

and dont take a major to impress others, it wont work. take something that will impress YOU and make you happy and make college worthwhile.

:)

To the OP, I just want to echo what others have said. Major in what you like but also remember you need to do well. That being said, look closely at the curriculum of the biochemistry program at your school. It may not be a much easier major. At my undergrad, we take the standard chem classes + upper level biochem classes, almost as much math as engineers (up to and including linear algebra, differential equations but luckily no partial diff eqns), quantum mechanics (a class for second year physics majors), and surprisingly no biology classes. Also, do keep in mind that you may have other requirements in the liberal arts program that engineers don't have such as foreign language, ect. But if you really don't like engineering then by all means don't stay.

Maybe you should major in pissing off. Pointing out the obvious doesn't stop new people from making the same mistakes.
I find nothing wrong with pointing out to a new person that the search button would greatly assist him/her in finding more information on his/her question. A new member might not know this question has been asked about 65675674746465756536 times and his been answered in detail about four times as many times as it has been asked. Maybe you should major in chilling out.

What is most impressive is a high GPA and a good MCAT scores and good extracurricular experiences. the type of major is not very important at all. Alot of schools are actually looking out for the non-science majors because they feel that it yields more well rounded students. Although these students tend to struggle a little bit first year, most of them figure it out and do well. So yeah, an undergrad english major is just as good.

...look closely at the curriculum of the biochemistry program at your school. It may not be a much easier major. At my undergrad, we take the standard chem classes + upper level biochem classes, almost as much math as engineers (up to and including linear algebra, differential equations but luckily no partial diff eqns), quantum mechanics (a class for second year physics majors), and surprisingly no biology classes. Also, do keep in mind that you may have other requirements in the liberal arts program that engineers don't have such as foreign language, ect.

You're right perutz, I would have to take a year of foreign language since biochem is in the school of arts and sciences, but fortunately I've taken all the math, bio, physics, gen chem and o-chem I'll need (just got to take p-chem and of course the biochem series)...

Also, UW SOM (which is currently my top choice) is changing its pre-reqs for 2010 and will require 7 social science courses that would actually be rather hard to squeeze in with core bioEn classes.

Thanks all for the input!

Last edited:
I find nothing wrong with pointing out to a new person that the search button would greatly assist him/her in finding more information on his/her question. A new member might not know this question has been asked about 65675674746465756536 times and his been answered in detail about four times as many times as it has been asked. Maybe you should major in chilling out.

That may be so but your manner of informing the new person was unnecessary. I don't understand the general fascination many here share with being jerks to every new person to the forum.

Well, while he could have said it nicer, in all fairness "new" people should probably read a bit first before starting a thread on something that has been asked pretty regularly. that's the nice thing about having many pages of threads to look at -- a lot of answers are already there.

I agree with what most people have said so far: Major in what you like most, regardless of all other factors (except, realistically speaking, possibly your ability to succeed in that field).

The first person I ever shadowed, a private-practice Pediatrician, gave me a little bit of advice on the matter of majors. He said, "You're going to be studying the human body for the rest of your life. Use your college years to study something that you really like."

Obviously, this doesn't fit perfectly with your situation, since you're thinking about Biochemistry or Biomedical Engineering. However, the principle is still there.

I would, but the only gigs I'd get after graduation would be reality t.v. shows.

Unfortunate, I know.

As a bioengineering major, I would suggest getting out. You will NOT get good grades if you don't like the engineering part of it. Its just that simple. I've seen people go into this major because of its reputation and not because of their interest and it has masacred their GPA. Don't let that happen to you.

I agree.