Undergraduate Microbiology Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacksonchan85

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
QUICK SURVEY!

Anyone taking/has taken an upper level microbiology course?

MICRO SUCKS!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a micro major......and I love it! I am taking ALL upper division bio this semester. It will be a challenge, but definitely worth it. My favorites right now are my infectious diseases course and my public health lab.

What are you having trouble with specifically? Several people I know have a hard time with immunology. Kuby's 5th edition is an excellent text.

Good luck....keep hunting for what you really like....but give micro a second.....or third chance:)

~amelie

What microbio classes do u recommend to take. I don't need to take any for my major, but I would like to take some out of interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOOOO, I AM A NERD..... I LOVED MICRO!!!!!!!!!:D :D

My favorite class was Bacteriology - 5 credit with a lab. I loved that class

Amy B what school do u go to?

I took an upper div micro class over the summer and loved it!! Best class I ever took! I really did just love it....it was the only class I've taken so far where I didn't dread going to the lab I took along with the class.

at my univ., all bio majors have to take a micro course (like most schools), and i really enjoyed it (200-level, mind you). so, this fall i decided to explore it a little more (400-level immunology) and kinda changed my mind. the insane details about the molecular genetic aspects of immunoglobulin/T-cell receptor diversity puts me to sleep faster than any pill ever could:D

also, in that immuno course, we use Parham's 'The Immune System'. has anyone else used this text? not only is it hyper-focused on the mol. gen. aspects (with hardly a trace of clinical applications), but the grammar SUCKS out loud. i've counted at least a dozen errors so far where commas should have been used and SUBJECT-VERB AGREEMENT! the main problem appears to be the mysterious state of plurality (you know, like saying "SDN assists many student.") :confused:

Am I confused? I thought that microbio referred only to courses about bacteria, archaea, protists, and fungi. Isn't immunobiology in the 'molecular and cell bio' category?

Isn't immunobiology in the 'molecular and cell bio' category?

At our school it is apart of MCB. I think ur getting microbio confused with the new major at berkeley Microbialbio. What the hell is microbial bio anyway???:confused:

Originally posted by NRAI2001
At our school it is apart of MCB. I think ur getting microbio confused with the new major at berkeley Microbialbio. What the hell is microbial bio anyway???:confused:

My understanding was that microbiology = microbial biology = the study of microbes. When it later became feasible to study large organisms on the level of proteins, nucleic acids, and membranes, the term MCB was evoked to distinguish the new discipline from the older field of microbial bio.

MCB 112 is called Microbiology, and the course description says it's all about bacteria and archaea. Both of my microbiology texts focus solely on single celled organisms, and nowhere does my immunology text self apply the term microbiology (that I've found).

I know that this is kind of nit-picking--like when "Shark Sandwich" was given the two-word review "**** Sandwich"--and I often say I'm studying microbiology even though I'm studying MCB because it's less cumbersome for laypersons. To be honest, I'm quite bummed about the fact that there's no room in my schedule for microbio--it seems like one of the most interesting and useful courses in the MCB dept.

I am a micro major. (Or will be when I transfer :D ). I think Micro is just fascinating. It is insane how many books I've purchased at garage sales and half-price bokstores.

If you major in Micro here you have to take Virology, Parasitology, Genetics, Immunology, Biochemistry, Indusrial Microbiology, and Pathogenic Microbiology.

Those of you who have majored in Micro, how did you spread your classes out? I was a little dismayed to find that most of the Micro classes cannot be taken in summer school here.

Originally posted by 2badr

If you major in Micro here you have to take Virology, Parasitology, Genetics, Immunology, Biochemistry, Indusrial Microbiology, and Pathogenic Microbiology.

How is that different than going through a regular bio route asides from a few different electives then?

How is that different than going through a regular bio route asides from a few different electives then?

For my major (intergrative bio) we have to take genetics and biochem but thats it. I am also majoring in public health and we have to take more of these classes mentioned. We take immunology, microbio, pathogenic microbio.

Bleh. I'm saying biology is the best major out there. For some reason at our school, biology has to fill more units than the more "specialized" majors. But it's all what you make of it.

Biology allows you more breadth in what fits under your upper-division requirements. So while some choose to fill it with mycology and plant biology, others choose to wander off and sample or dig into other places.

Originally posted by 2badr
I am a micro major. (Or will be when I transfer :D ). I think Micro is just fascinating. It is insane how many books I've purchased at garage sales and half-price bokstores.

Those of you who have majored in Micro, how did you spread your classes out? I was a little dismayed to find that most of the Micro classes cannot be taken in summer school here.

That clears it up a lot. Immunology is a cross-disciplinary course, because disease is at the root of why we started studying microbes. Thanks! :) ;) :)

Originally posted by TTSD

In the "reg" Bio route here there are classes such as Cell Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, Biochemistry etc. According to the school catalog, if you major in Biology you can be a little more flexible than you would if you majored in Micro. or say Chemistry because the number of hours required would not allow you to take very much other than the course needed for graduation. (Well I guess if you don't mind the 5 year degree, you could that) Some of the Micro required course overlap for Biology but only a few.

Now the other majors (MCB, Biology, Microbiology) depend on the school you attend. One of the institutions here specifically states that some of their course are only offered once a year (for certain majors).

Of course, I can't go there because they are not very flexible and I need my "flexibility". :D

Originally posted by Nutmeg
...because disease is at the root of why we started studying microbes. Thanks! :) ;) :)

Ooooo, you make it sound so good.

:D

(excuse all of my posts until the sugar I had this morning passes thru...thank you)

I'm a micro major taking my first real micro class right now....intro micro for majors (520 for anyone at osu)....it seems really easy so far....we havent really done anything that i hadnt learned in intro bio...but my intro bio was at a different school and known as a very difficult course...combination of micro botany and zoo... The labs have have been kind of fun so far though....very low stress...just playing with different strains of bacteria basically...

i cant wait to take virology ...that sounds so much more interesting...

we're only required to take intro micro 1 and 2, microbial genetics, and biochem....for the other courses for the major we can pick from 2 very long lists of classes in and out of the micro dept.....its very flexible....much more so than a bio major here...they only get like one elective or something like that...

Originally posted by logos
I'm a micro major taking my first real micro class right now....intro micro for majors (520 for anyone at osu)....it seems really easy so far....we havent really done anything that i hadnt learned in intro bio...but my intro bio was at a different school and known as a very difficult course...combination of micro botany and zoo... The labs have have been kind of fun so far though....very low stress...just playing with different strains of bacteria basically...

i cant wait to take virology ...that sounds so much more interesting...

we're only required to take intro micro 1 and 2, microbial genetics, and biochem....for the other courses for the major we can pick from 2 very long lists of classes in and out of the micro dept.....its very flexible....much more so than a bio major here...they only get like one elective or something like that...

Well we don't have a long list to choose from, but we can choose
Biochemistry II, Quantitative Analysis Lab or Histology.

What exactly can you choose from? Are they courses offered through the Biology department? It sounds like you have a pretty flexible Micro major! :)

We have to take Microbio 1 and Microbio 2....each is a quarter. We are also required to take biochem and "microbial genetics"....

Then you pick the remaining hours required (40 total hours required) for the degree from two different lists...at least 10 of these hours must come from list 1 which is only courses in the dept....the other list contains bio courses from a number of different departments....many are "EEOB" which is "evolutionary ecology and organismal biology"...the list for group 2 is not complete either...you can take almost any bio related course you can get them to accept...

Here is the page with the lists....sorry...couldnt get it to paste into the window coherently...

http://www.osumicrobiology.org/microhandout.htm

It seems very flexible to me...especially compared to the bio major here...they have almost the entire major spelled out for them class by class....they get to pick a "concentration" or something where they get to pick a class or two...

Micro rocks! what could be cooler? It encompases pretty much every area of biology (at least the cool areas:D)...genetics, biochem, immunology, etc are all "molecular life sciences" that are part of micro...