1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

undergraduate premed at NC state university

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by msbehair, Jun 18, 2008.

1. msbehair

msbehair Med school here i come!!!
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Alright so this is the first time i post on SDN, so here goes nothing............

I just finished my freshman year at NC state majoring in German studies with a concentration in international economics and i beleive i am doing relatively well. Here are prereq classes i have taken so far:

Calculus I A+
    Calculus II A
    Calculus III A
    Biology I A
    Biology II B+
    Gen Chemistry I A
    Gen Chemistry Lab A+
    Organic chemistry I ( with Lab) B+

SO here are my questions:

1) will the B+'s in orgo I and Bio II ( obviously very important classes) have much of a bad effect on my transcript?

2) Does being a german studies and international economics major put me at a disadvantage?should i major in something more science oriented to be more prepared and impress the adcoms?

3) obviously because of my major i dont really have to take alot of science classes but alot of people have been telling me to take intro to Biochem and Genetics? how important are they?

4) last question is how important is your undergraduate because i want to (hopefully) go to a top 20 medschool and i was wondering if the prestige of your undergrad mattered that much to top ten med schools? and whether or not someone like me can get in at a top 10 school?

Thanks

msbehair

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. neuro1617

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    1)I would be wary of asking the SDNers if 2 B+'s will seriously negatively impact your app.:eek: Be happy those are your lowest grades. All your grades look good, and a B+ won't keep you out of med school.

2)NO. Major in whatever you like. It's not necessary to major in something science oriented so long as you get in the prereqs. Med schools are looking for a diverse student body and I've heard a non-science major may help you stand out.

3) Both would be very helpful for the MCAT, genetics more so than biochem as biochem isn't actually covered on it. Some MCATs are heavy on the genetics. Also biochem is required/recommended by some med schools.

4)There are many threads on this topic. Of course it matters to some degree but any accredited 4 yr school can get you into med school. Just do the best you can where you are, find great EC's that you are passionate about and try not to worry about the little things so much:cool:

4. msbehair

msbehair Med school here i come!!!
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thanks neuro1617 for your advice........i appreciate it:)

5. CrewBHB

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I graduated NC State, if you need any advice just PM me.