Undergraduate Research: Combat Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rei04

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I'll be done with community college this summer; in the Fall I will instantly turn into a Junior at a University. Just to consider which University to apply to, I am visiting Psychology Department pages of various Universities and looking over research interests of faculty. I wanted to find out if anyone on this forum has participated in research focused on working with veterans and combat related PTSD.

Do you know what role undergraduate students might have had? So far, I've realized that the Department of Veteran Affairs sets forth requirements for internships on the (USAJobs.gov) website. Internships requiring a minimum of an associate's degree (undergrads), for engaging in social work with veterans, encompasses doing clerical work and answering phones.

I hope someone can share with me their experiences as a graduate student who delegated their secretarial concerns to an undergraduate student. Also, I'm hoping for stories from those who worked in this area as an undergraduate student.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What internship were you looking at specifically? Can you provide a link?

Typically when undergrads have started doing research in our lab, they start out in a basic role (data entry, attending lab meetings) to get familiar with our research and demonstrate reliability. If you're interested in doing research in combat PTSD, you're probably better off finding a faculty member who does this type of research, especially as affiliated with a local VA. The volunteers at VA (at least ours) mostly just make reminder calls to Veterans for appointments.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Typically when undergrads have started doing research in our lab, they start out in a basic role (data entry, attending lab meetings) to get familiar with our research and demonstrate reliability. If you're interested in doing research in combat PTSD, you're probably better off finding a faculty member who does this type of research, especially as affiliated with a local VA. The volunteers at VA (at least ours) mostly just make reminder calls to Veterans for appointments.

Thanks for the insight. I have been investigating the topic of undergraduate research with veteran's. I found out that finding faculty that happens to have a study in PTSD going on is like chasing after tornadoes. However, I combed the linked in pages of two doctoral students and learned that many academic institutions that happen to have a medical school, psychology clinic, or military affiliation regularly hire research assistants...I was hoping someone here might tell me weather in their PTSD studies if they have had research assistants with anything less than a bachelor's degree? Also to the forum, in a PTSD study you've been part, how often does the position of research assistant become availible? Is the best way to find openings for RA in PTSD through social networking? Or is there another way? I was considering polling faculty of schools with clinical practicum at the local veteran's affairs hospital.

Thanks Everyone (Thanks PsychPhDStudent)

One of the issues with paid RA jobs is that they are few and far between most places. In terms of lab assistants at places with active research labs, most of the RA's are volunteers, or doing it for credit. Labs can generally be choosy in this, we had dozens of apps just to volunteer for our lab each semester, and took maybe 3-4. There may be one or two paid ones, but those are usually students who have spent some time in the lab as a volunteer, did an awesome job, and were rewarded with a paid position if funds were available.

As for research within a military or VA institution, I have never seen a research position posted that wasn't looking for someone with a master's at least and some specialized stats/research methodology experience. Not saying they aren't out there, I just haven't seen it.

One of the issues with paid RA jobs is that they are few and far between most places. In terms of lab assistants at places with active research labs, most of the RA's are volunteers, or doing it for credit. Labs can generally be choosy in this, we had dozens of apps just to volunteer for our lab each semester, and took maybe 3-4. There may be one or two paid ones, but those are usually students who have spent some time in the lab as a volunteer, did an awesome job, and were rewarded with a paid position if funds were available.

As for research within a military or VA institution, I have never seen a research position posted that wasn't looking for someone with a master's at least and some specialized stats/research methodology experience. Not saying they aren't out there, I just haven't seen it.

Can you say what the education level is of the RA's you have come across in your experience? Do they ever have less than a bachelor's degree? Was your lab doing psychological research in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or Post Traumatic Growth? Why is there an opening in your lab each semester for volunteer/RA? Do RA's have there credit at the end of the semester and then leave the project? Thanks

All of my RA's were undergraduates. We had one that was paid, but she had been there for a year and was a superstar. I was doing PTSD and resilience literature in the context of neuropsychological correlates (memory and emotion regulation). There are openings each semester because undergraduates graduate, or move to different labs for different experiences. We had a large lab with about 20 undergrad RA's. So, a turnover of 3-4 wasn't much.

I worked at a VA hospital doing PTSD research prior to grad school (after I got my bachelor's). We were near several major universities, but most undergrads didn't think to look for research opportunities at labs at the VA. We were generally happy to take people to volunteer. However, the VA I was at had much more mental health research than most, since we had a MIRECC which are special VA centers for mental health research (among other things). If the VA near you has a MIRECC or center of excellence that could be an option. Otherwise, others might be able to comment on whether it's possible to volunteer at other VAs to do research and what the process would be.

I worked at a med school during UG (20 hours/week) doing PTSD research, and I was paid ~$13/hour. I spent about 6 months working as a volunteer before asking for the position.

You won't likely find a paid RA position in a medical center or VA without a Bachelor's degree. As an undergrad the most common way to get experience would be to volunteer in a lab. Sometimes course credit is offered, but not always.
Thanks for helping me see the modality used by undergrads to find opportunities to volunteer as research assistants.

I worked at a VA hospital doing PTSD research prior to grad school (after I got my bachelor's). We were near several major universities, but most undergrads didn't think to look for research opportunities at labs at the VA. We were generally happy to take people to volunteer. However, the VA I was at had much more mental health research than most, since we had a MIRECC which are special VA centers for mental health research (among other things). If the VA near you has a MIRECC or center of excellence that could be an option. Otherwise, others might be able to comment on whether it's possible to volunteer at other VAs to do research and what the process would be.
This was mission critical and invaluable information...it turns out that the VA hospital nearest to me is part of VISN 6 MIRECC. The main HQ is in Duram...but there VISN 6 (MIRECC) people working in the VA near me...I might be able to see if they know what research assistants are used up at HQ in Durham. I'll if research assistants are used locally. Thanks.

I worked at a med school during UG (20 hours/week) doing PTSD research, and I was paid ~$13/hour. I spent about 6 months working as a volunteer before asking for the position.
Thanks for helping me realize that this really is an area of research complete with research volunteers, it's not just a group of tenured professors and one well connected doctoral student authoring a research article in a journal; followed by moving on with the rest of their lives.

All of my RA's were undergraduates. We had one that was paid, but she had been there for a year and was a superstar. I was doing PTSD and resilience literature in the context of neuropsychological correlates (memory and emotion regulation). There are openings each semester because undergraduates graduate, or move to different labs for different experiences. We had a large lab with about 20 undergrad RA's. So, a turnover of 3-4 wasn't much.
Interesting. Its nice to know that some labs take on so many volunteers. I am guessing that this must have been a University with so many undergraduate assistants. Was it a special medical or military university? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a regular old public university. I'd suggest working with PTSD across a variety of populations to get a good flavor of it. Only working with the combat flavor of it can give you a somewhat lopsided view.

Just a regular old public university. I'd suggest working with PTSD across a variety of populations to get a good flavor of it. Only working with the combat flavor of it can give you a somewhat lopsided view.

Agreed. While finding a PTSD lab that's looking specifically/only at combat-related trauma will probably restrict your search quite a bit, looking for any lab doing PTSD-related research hopefully shouldn't be too tough a task.

And also agree with the others that it'll of course be significantly easier to find a volunteer rather than paid spot. The downside of course is that you aren't paid, but the upside is that the expected time commitment is usually much lower.

Agreed. While finding a PTSD lab that's looking specifically/only at combat-related trauma will probably restrict your search quite a bit, looking for any lab doing PTSD-related research hopefully shouldn't be too tough a task.

And also agree with the others that it'll of course be significantly easier to find a volunteer rather than paid spot. The downside of course is that you aren't paid, but the upside is that the expected time commitment is usually much lower.

Thanks AcronymAllergy & WisNeuro: I didn't even see the value in studying the breadth of PTSD research...and it would be easier not to restrict the search. Invaluable information. I knew a paid spot would be difficult...but I had not considered that volunteer spots would be significantly easier. This raises a question I had about qualifying as a volunteer. Do you recommend a way to get prepared and improve my odds of meeting expectations of the faculty/research team? I also was wondering something that is related to seeking a place with a general clinic: Would it be forbidden or over-the-line if I attempted to persuade war veterans or other civil service personnel to seek services at the clinic where I'm a volunteer RA?

Are you talking about a services clinic or a research clinic? If it's a research clinic, there will be a specified IRB protocol in place for recruiting research participants and you stepping outside the bounds of that would be absolutely inappropriate.

Thanks. I hadn't 'put it all together' and realized that's the purpose of those places with titles such as the office of human research protection. I don't know what university I would wind up at...but it seems as though I would most be interested in the sort with the IRB board; that is places that are research facilities connected with a hospital.

All research with human participants in any setting needs IRB approval

All research with human participants in any setting needs IRB approval

Technically correct, key word being "participant." Many observational research studies can be done without IRB approval. ;) But yeah, any university that does research in most capacities will have an IRB, or an affiliation with an IRB. I can't imagine a reputable program without it.

You might want to consider telling us where you're at geographically so we can suggest places. Please don't try to to interfere with processes-as-usual just yet. :)

I'm in the small town of Salisbury, NC. I would be will to travel a few hundred miles. I have a few findings to talk about that someone here might be able to suggest what the odds are of me getting involved with research as an undergrad. If the places I talk about poorly favor my circumstances as an undergrad, then please tell me about places you know of. My sources will follow so you'll know where I'm coming from. Okay here goes: One grad student, whom wrote a paper on veteran's and PTSD, went to the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, MD. She had graduated from George Mason University, Fairfax, VA in 2009 and was a research assistant at USUHS in 2011. So, that was a 20 mile hike for her. For me it would be 367 miles, but I'd be willing to travel that far. Itinerary is not too bad -- There's an Amtrak route from where I am to Rockville, MD and from Rockville there's a metro rail into Bethesda. USUHS has in their position descriptions, a Psychology Aid; government pay classifications of GS-02 - GS-05 (that's from a high school diploma to a bachelor's degree). In the list of medical & clinical psychology people, they have one person at the bottom of the list who doesn't have a bachelor's degree, but she has what seems like several marketable justifications that suggest why she got that job. The MIRECC, that Nessa34 brought up on Wednesday April 1st, has an HQ in Durham, NC. There is also an affiliated research lab at the VAMC here in Salisbury, NC. From the description of this Salisbury, NC research lab, strong in the areas of PTSD and TBI, it is not clear to me how to be involved with research as an undergraduate student.

www.mirecc.va.gov/visn6/Fellowships.asp (The Salisbury VAMC PTSD/TBI Lab)
www.linkedin.com/pub/cara-blevins/17/775/393 (Cara Blevins, doctoral student, formerly RA at USUHS)
www.usuhs.mil/faculty/grunberg/labmembers.html (People page of USUHS dept. of medical psychology)

My advice is to focus on continuing your undergraduate studies at a university that offers research experiences for undergraduates. Once you are enrolled, look for opportunities to volunteer in a faculty member's lab in a psychology department. Try to be open to any area that is related to your interests - for instance, you might try to volunteer with someone who studies stress and coping, or anxiety. Take courses in research methods and statistics to get a better sense of what research is about. I think that is a better approach than to go knocking on doors outside of your formal degree program to seek highly specialized experiences. There is no rush to specialize at this point in your education. Just focus on getting the best undergraduate education you can.

My advice is to focus on continuing your undergraduate studies at a university that offers research experiences for undergraduates. Once you are enrolled, look for opportunities to volunteer in a faculty member's lab in a psychology department. Try to be open to any area that is related to your interests - for instance, you might try to volunteer with someone who studies stress and coping, or anxiety. Take courses in research methods and statistics to get a better sense of what research is about. I think that is a better approach than to go knocking on doors outside of your formal degree program to seek highly specialized experiences. There is no rush to specialize at this point in your education. Just focus on getting the best undergraduate education you can.

Yes, earlier in this thread it was recommended that I look for research opportunities in the wider topic of PTSD instead of one part like veterans & PTSD. For example, it would be far easier to strive to volunteer with the post traumatic growth group at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. The director of this team replied to my email and told me that every semester they select numerous undergraduate RA's. I can see why there haven't been many suggestions of other places to look into; there are only so many places that do veteran related PTSD...pretty much any institution connected with the National Center for PTSD, which is within the Dept. of Veteran Affairs, does research in PTSD as it applies to returning troops. So, that's a limited number of options.