Undergraduate Research Grants/Funds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xcited392

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently doing research w/ my PI in a lab and he's asked me to apply for the school's undergraduate grant for next year. The grant is only $500 and that will only allow me to purchase a single cell line, cell media, and maybe a PCR kit. Clearly, $500 can only go so far.

My PI told me to look around for other grants and research funding outside of our school. I've searched around a lot and I can only come up with the SigmaXi Grants-in-aid.

Does anyone have any other suggestions??

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently doing research w/ my PI in a lab and he's asked me to apply for the school's undergraduate grant for next year. The grant is only $500 and that will only allow me to purchase a single cell line, cell media, and maybe a PCR kit. Clearly, $500 can only go so far.

My PI told me to look around for other grants and research funding outside of our school. I've searched around a lot and I can only come up with the SigmaXi Grants-in-aid.

Does anyone have any other suggestions??

Thank you.

It's not about the money (hopefully). Your PI is trying to boost your CV for when you apply to MSTP/Med?PhD. If it is about money you are in trouble.

It's not about the money (hopefully). Your PI is trying to boost your CV for when you apply to MSTP/Med?PhD. If it is about money you are in trouble.

You're probably right.

How impressive is it if one manages to get an undergraduate research grant? I'm sure it's a plus, but is it a big deal?

I wouldn't mind extra the money, though... I'm in the process of developing an individual project of my own, that slightly deviates from my PI's work, so the funds from his projects might not fully cover my work.