mrdrdrjp

Ph.D in Bastardology
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
Forest City, NC
www.facebook.com
Status
Pre-Medical
I am currently still in high school in a little town called Forest City, NC and next year will be attending Gardner-Webb University to major in Biology and minor in Chemistry and Spanish. I have a few biology options as far as electives go and I would like some suggestions as to what classes to take. I would like to know what would be the most MCAT helpful classes out of: Genetic, Immunology, Cell Biology, Developmental Biology, and Microbiology.
Thanks for any help.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
No need for the life story...

I would say Cell>Genetics>Immunology>Micro>developmental

BUt do you really have to decide now? If your majoring in bio..you have to take the basic bio reqs before you can take some electives.

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Cell Bio first. It'll help you in all of the other biology classes afterwards.
But keep in mind that at most universities Cell Bio is harder than any of those courses. At my university Biochemistry and Genetics are both prerequisites for Cell.

I have taken all of those courses, and I would say that while Cell will help the most later, most people simply don't get to it by the time they want to take the MCAT. It isn't required for any major except Cell, usually.

All of these courses are excellent choices, and I would say that these are the 5 that convinced me to apply to med school. Just take whichever is required for you, and if you still have options, pick the one you are most interested in at the moment.