Undergraduate Schools and Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cataractattack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this seems like a sort of dumb quesion, but Im only about to apply to undergraduate school, and I was wondering is it better to declare pre-med as my major or to major in somthing like biology? Advice/help would be much appreciated,
Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

This needs to be next on the sticky list.

And here is the million dollar answer:

It doesn't matter what you major in as long as you do well in all your classes, especially the prereqs.
Majoring in "premed" is actually a pretty dumb idea IMO because imagine you decide you don't want to be a doctor in 3 years (very likely). Then you go for job interviews and tell 'em you majored in premed and see what they think :). Plus, most schools don't even have a major called "premed", it's just a track you take by fulfilling prerequisite courses. Maybe you're getting this confused in your school too.

Thank you! Thats really good advice, so i huess im majoring in biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'd imagine most schools don't have a premed major. At most a minor, and my undergrad didn't even have that, it was just an emphasis area. Majoring in biology or biochem is what at least the plurality of applicants do, in part because (duh) they're interested in biology and in part because this major will cover all the prereqs without having to take them as "extra" courses. Plus it prepares you well for the MCAT. But any major is fine, and something like anthropology or art history may well help you stand out provided you do well in the prereq courses (they are of a fairly standard, known quality to the gatekeepers who may or may not know how easy/hard say anthropology courses are). Off the top of my head I can think of five engineers (two chemical, one mechanical, one civil, one biological), a lawyer, a pharmacist, a West Point grad, a PA, and more than a few humanities majors in my class of second year med students. Do what makes you happy and have a back-up plan. Like Robizzle said, a whole herd of premeds decide to do something else along the way, and in any given year a fairly large percentage of applicants don't get accepted anywhere.

It doesn't even matter what you put up on your application right now(atleast thats how it was at my school) just make sure you study something you like, do it nicely and have good ECs.. imho

#1 - DO NOT declare a major your freshman year

#2 - Start with some of your basic prereqs, but do not overload on science courses

#3 - At least one of your classes each semester should be something completely random (Latin-American studies, macroeconomics, Women's Studies, intro to religion)

#4 - DO NOT call yourself premed until you are a second-semester sophomore and you have an idea what your GPA is looking like

#5 - Get off SDN and don't come back until you are a Junior

Fish in a barrel.

#2 - Start with some of your basic prereqs, but do not overload on science courses

#3 - At least one of your classes each semester should be something completely random (Latin-American studies, macroeconomics, Women's Studies, intro to religion)

#4 - DO NOT call yourself premed until you are a second-semester sophomore and you have an idea what your GPA is looking like

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Old Testament was one of my favorite classes even though I'm not really a Christian.

in one ear and out the other... I'm sure this question will be asked again sometime later on this week... or even today.

Depends on your undergrad.... but....

Don't go premed.... just take the required courses, take the MCAT, do well, and keep up your GPA. I went premed, took the courses needed to graduate, and hated life. Take what you need, and do it well. Keep up your research and activities! You will be golden.

Also, don't take AP exams, enjoy high school, and take the intro courses during freshman year. The great grades you obtained in high school do not transfer, just the credits... totally not worth it, if you want to go to med school.

Unless you want to be a gunner and go balls out/not have an undergrad life/do anything fun before building up 100-200K in debt, do not go premed, do not test out of intro courses, and do not spend your undergrad life in the library.

:D

i majored in chemical engineering and finished with a 2.9 UG (3.5 in the MS program), so I am sure my choice of major did factor in when my GPA was evaluated at the schools i got acceptances from. I think you should pick a major that you will enjoy so you can do the best in your courses as possible (assuming you are more likely to do well when you enjoy your coursework). I am personally against pre-med as a major because if (God-forbid) you dont get in to med school, you limit your options professionally.

in response to "don't come back on sdn till junior year":

well, come back on SDN a little earlier and go to the MCAT forum. it is really helpful.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Old Testament was one of my favorite classes even though I'm not really a Christian.

You mean Jewish? I guess that's besides the point anyway. And yes I know that Islam and Christianity include the Old Testament as they are all Abrahamic religions.

Nevermind...

Major in whatever you can do well in and enjoy.

You mean Jewish? I guess that's besides the point anyway. And yes I know that Islam and Christianity include the Old Testament as they are all Abrahamic religions.

Nevermind...

Major in whatever you can do well in and enjoy.

Got me on that one! I had a Jewish boss once, and I once said that they used the Old Testament. He went off on me. I guess that they call it Tanak with the Talmud as a supplement.

Really I never called myself a pre-med. I never cared for the associated stigma.

:luck:

i'm not a bio major. one of the best decisions of my life.