Undergraduate student from Texas wanting to complete a medical degree in the Czech Republic.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aishaht99

Reaction score
Hey, I’m a sophomore at an undergraduate program in Texas (I’m a US citizen with a US passport). I’m currently completing pre medical requirements with an Interdisciplinary Degree (foundations in natural sciences and arts and humanities, with a concentration in health).

I want to go medical school in Central Europe, specifically in Prague, in the Czech Republic, Charles University. There is an English medical program I’d like to be a part of, which would be of great help until I build a strong foundation in Czech. After getting my medical degree, I’d like to stay in the EU and live and practice medicine there.

My question is, does anyone know how the medical program works in the Czech Republic? Ive found it somewhat difficult to find information online. Here are some specific questions I have:

1) What is the medical degree called in the Czech Republic? Is it an MD/DO like in the US or Canada? Or is it an MBBS like in the UK?

2) What does a surgical residency look like in the Czech Republic? How many years is the average program? What are the hours like?

3) After earning the medical degree, is it common for students to pursue a pHD in the Czech Republic? Or do most students go straight into residency? Is there a drawback to spending more time earning an extra degree?

4) After residency, what is the way to further specialize in the Czech Republic? Is there a fellowship program like in the US?

5) I’d like to complete my undergraduate program here in Texas, USA and earn my bachelors prior to applying, is it true that I could spend less time in medical school in the Czech Republic? I’ve heard of students who completed their pre medical requirements during their Bachelors only spending 3-4 years in the medical school there, as opposed to the regular 6 year program.

6) What is the percentage of non traditional medical students in the Czech Republic? As medical students there enter the program out of high school, I’m interested to know how many people will be closer to my age if I’m in my late 20s by the time I apply. Is there a stigma against non traditional students on the application boards?

Sorry for the block of text, but I’d also like to hear from any other American/Canadian students who became medical students in the EU, especially Central Europe! I don’t know many people taking this path, and it would be amazing to make some friends!

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you plan on practicing in the Czech Republic?
Yes, after getting my medical degree, I’d like to practice in the EU! I’m not sure whether or not I’d like to stay in the Czech Republic specifically, but I would like to stay in the EU.

Bumped

I want to see some more feedback with this

I wonder if OP got into medical school in Europe

I’m also literally had the same interest as the OP.

Anything new? I'm also very interested.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a very well thought out and fascinating inquiry. Any more willing to take a stab at an answer?

I graduated from Charles University and am now a PGY1 in the states. I'm not sure I'll be able to answer everything from the original post, but if anyone still wants some more info on this school please let me know!

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated from Charles University and am now a PGY1 in the states. I'm not sure I'll be able to answer everything from the original post, but if anyone still wants some more info on this school please let me know!

Hey! I recently got accepted to Charles University 2nd Faculty and was wondering if I was able to talk to you about your experience. I'm a US citizen who is mostly interested in pursuing residency in the states following my MD.

I would really appreciate a response to the following questions:
  • What Charles faculty did you graduate from?
  • How many students from your year opted for residency in the US vs. how many actually matched?
  • Average USMLE score/pass rate at your Charles faculty?
  • Whether their research and teaching facilities were up to your standards
  • Were your professors helpful and guiding?
  • Did you receive help from the university regarding USMLE prep or obtaining US clinical experience (perhaps they provided Kaplan USMLE courses, allowed you to undertake externships during the academic year in the US?)
!!!Any pros vs. cons would be super beneficial to me as I am currently choosing between Charles and Jagiellonian University in Poland, and Hacettepe University in Turkey.

Thank you!! And hope to hear back from you soon!!

Hey! I recently got accepted to Charles University 2nd Faculty and was wondering if I was able to talk to you about your experience. I'm a US citizen who is mostly interested in pursuing residency in the states following my MD.

I would really appreciate a response to the following questions:
  • What Charles faculty did you graduate from?
  • How many students from your year opted for residency in the US vs. how many actually matched?
  • Average USMLE score/pass rate at your Charles faculty?
  • Whether their research and teaching facilities were up to your standards
  • Were your professors helpful and guiding?
  • Did you receive help from the university regarding USMLE prep or obtaining US clinical experience (perhaps they provided Kaplan USMLE courses, allowed you to undertake externships during the academic year in the US?)
!!!Any pros vs. cons would be super beneficial to me as I am currently choosing between Charles and Jagiellonian University in Poland, and Hacettepe University in Turkey.

Thank you!! And hope to hear back from you soon!!

Hey! congratulations on your acceptance! I won't be able to answer all of your questions, but I'll give you all the info I can.
1. 1st faculty
2. In my specific year, I believe none except me. Though usually there are around 3-5 from the first faculty each year that end up going to the states. My year didn't have any students from the US though. I can't tell you know many of those that apply match, but I think the number is high. On my interview trail alone, I met 6 residents and 2 attendings at the programs i went to who were graduates of Charles Uni (all faculties). Given how not that many people end up going to the US from that university, I would I think the school has a pretty good name in the states. However, you have to be careful because I m not sure whether the 2nd/3rd faculty is accredited in all states like the 1st faculty is, so it's good to check that beforehand (I think the 2nd faculty is, but the 3rd might not be everywhere).
3. Again, I can't comment on this specifically because there are so few people from my year that took the steps and we dont have any formal reporting of scores. I know that around 6-7 of us took Step 1 and everyone got around 240 or higher with ease. Most of them didn't end up taking step 2 as they decided in the end to not go to the US.
4. Teaching facilities are excellent for the first 3 years (subjects such as anatomy, physiology, biochem). For anatomy you spend a whole year with cadavers and have full access to them throughout the day. They are very tough on you during exams, but you have excellent resources available. There is also a bone library where each student can go and look through a huge selection of human bones and can take out 3 bones each to take home. You will have solid preparation for step 1 and will pass it with flying colours becuse the first 3 "preclinical" years at this school are extremely rigorous and thorough. To give you an idea, over 50% of people don't pass the first year. Our starting class have around 140 people and by the second year we only had 70ish. However, it is absolutely doable and if you take it seriously and study well you will absolutely pass. The later clinical years are also great in terms of teaching, however I would say that they are lacking in practical hands on care (you dont do rotations in the same way as in the US). If you want more detailed info please message me. Please keep in mind that I am describing what I experienced in the 1st faculty... the 2nd faculty may be very different in many respects (I have heard that it is more hands on and practical and not as tough theoretically).
5. Yes. As long as you want to learn and take initiative, there will be lots of people to guide you.
6. No. Since there are so few of us going to the states, there is not much guidance available. Then again I wasn't the most proactive, and we did have some presentations that were meant to guide those wishing to go to the states, but honestly there is not much. Regarding organizing rotations or internships in the US, I am not aware of the uni offering any such service. Those wishing to organize rotations had to do it on their own via a paid agency or other forms of applications. Maybe that had changed in the few years I have been away.

Overall I would highly recommend the school as it has a great name in Europe and even in some areas in the US as well. I know nothing about the other two Universities you mentioned, so I can't draw any comparisons there.