Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Undergraduate: To rush or not to rush?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by busupshot83, Apr 22, 2004.

?

Undergrad: To rush or not to rush?

1. Rush... Who cares if my grades suffer a little, I'll be in dental school sooner!

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Take my time... I'd rather not stress out (too much) and work for a higher GPA. Slow and steady win

39 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet
    7+ Year Member

Do you think it's better to rush through undergraduate years, and risk a lower GPA? Or take your time, enjoy life, and work for a higher GPA?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. speter33

speter33 S.D.N.'s Captain
    7+ Year Member

I'm not sure how much you can rush your undergrad studies. Even if you take 18 credits vs 14 each semester you can graduate perhaps a semester earlier than usual. Don't know what good that'll do you. I however recommend taking summer classes in your school. I always took the first of the two summer sessions each year in my undergrad studies. I love doing the work of an entire boring semester in only 6 weeks.

But to answer your question I think grades are really important and there's really no need to rush. Work hard, get good grades, and enjoy yourself whenever possible

4. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet
    7+ Year Member

I agree. I was talking to an older woman in my British Literature class, and she said she was a nurse for many years. She continued that burnout doesn't come gradually; when it hits, its hard and sudden. You don't want to burn yourself out. :)

5. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    All this talk about rushing...I assumed the poll was about Greek life. Oops! :D

6. aggie-master

aggie-master Scrub
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I graduated in 3 years without harming my gpa. It can be done.

I went the whole summer right out of high school and the following summer, took lots of classes my first year, tested out of a few courses, and coasted the last two years.

7. ToothMonkey

ToothMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I also graduated in three years with minimal stress and a good GPA, thanks to AP credits and summer Orgo (shudder). So the two poll options really are not mutually exclusive.

But if forced to choose one track or the other I would definitely prefer to take my time. Apart from producing a better GPA, this also gives a person more time to enjoy themselves socially.

Look at it this way, do you really think anyone, lying on his death bed, looks back on his life and says, "Gee, I wish I'd spent LESS time in college and MORE time working. Partying and chasing women was a real waste of time...I should have spent my early twenties as a productive member of corporate America." *a single regretful tear rolls down the dying man's cheek to the sounds of Barber's Adagio for Strings* :laugh:

8. DcS

DcS damn the red baron
    7+ Year Member

I would much rather take my time. I graduated in the "normal" course of 4 years, and then took a year off before starting dental school. I am completing my 2nd year of dental school and am very glad I took that year off. I came in fresh and ready to go. Like someone else said, college is one of the best times of your life. IMO you might as well enjoy it, you can't always live for tomorrow. Graduating dental school at 25 vs. 27 is little difference to me at least.

9. Zurich5

Zurich5 Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Me too, i say go ahead and rush... some fraternaties are actually pretty cool.

10. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

I took 39 semester hours last year alone (that's just 2 semesters, excluding summer break). I had a Saturday job, but the rest was a hard work. These days you can earn a degree in 3 years if you want to, and still have a kick-a$$ summer :cool: , if you put your head into it.

It depends on you.

11. Shomeda$

Shomeda$ Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm sorry, but that was ******ed.

12. Dr.SpongeBobDDS

Dr.SpongeBobDDS Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

All depends on what you can handle. GPA is paramount. I graduated in 3 yrs and didn't hurt my GPA either. If my grades had started slipping, I would have slowed to down to a normal course load, but I wanted to get out of there. :)

13. Zurich5

Zurich5 Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Hey i thought it was funny.

14. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I rushed 3 years 3.8 GPA, and it was a MISTAKE!

15. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

Can you explain WHY you think it was a mistake to rush?

Your GPA is great, and you saved a year, was it boring?

16. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No social life and when i applied to med school last year they hardly cared about my super number of hours per semester. I was also very immature when i came out because all i did in college was study period. This hurt me severly in my interviews i believe.

Here are the number of hours i took each semester starting with semester 1

No summer school. Came in with 11 AP credits. Graduated in 3 years flat. Only good part was less $ was required for a degree.

17. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

DrTacoElf

There should be more to the applicant's personality than just stats when applying to medical/dental schools. It's a common factor for selecting candidates - and I think you could have created time to develop that, and you still can for you to give it another shot.

Well, if medical school let you down, dentistry may well be something that will make you smile.

Good Luck

18. ziptree

ziptree DDS
    10+ Year Member

I came in with 13 AP classes, but hey...my college didn't accept them and only took my 2 college classes I took during high school. So while at my undergrad univ., I took 4-6 units at a JC, so my unit load would be ~22 every semester. I also took a full load during the summers (8 units * 2 JCs = 16 units). When I realized that I had the option of graduating in two years, it was too late because I had already missed the AADSAS cycle for that year, so I decided to stay another year and take some other classes I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. If i could do it all over again, I'd take my sweet time...maybe do that 10-year college thing... =p

19. jes1ca

jes1ca OP Resident
    7+ Year Member

I loved college. I wouldn't have traded that extra year for anything. Just my opinion. Otherwise, I never would have gotten to spend six months in Australia "studying." I could have graduated in three years and I chose not to. It's up to you though.

Jessica

20. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

True college experience is for people with at least 4 years and more in college... anything less is boring! :thumbdown: