1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

undergraduate transfer? should I??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jsol, Nov 18, 2005.

1. jsol

jsol Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ok so I currently am going to UT Austin. I applied for a spring transfer to Rice b/c I have always like Rice but I didnt get in coming out of high school. I have a 4.0 at UT and and most probably for this semester too. My question is will it make a big difference to med school when applying to which school I went to. Would it be better to have a 4.0 at UT or lets say a 3.8 at Rice? Thanks in advance. I have only 2 weeks to make this decision and boy is it tough.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bkpa2med

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I transferred from a city university here in new york to a private university. Believe me that when I say there is a difference. That's my opinion. The education is better by far. Now it all depends on the school you want to transfer to. My "new" school has a better reputation for getting graduates into MD/DO/DPM/DCM and so on, that is why I chose it.

4. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Maybe I incorrect in this statement because I am from MA, but isn't UT Austin one of the best public schools in the country? And isn't there a huge amount of research oppurtunities at that school?

5. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    would you be happier at rice? if so, i'd transfer. my guess is that rice would be a radically different environment from ut. for your example, no, i doubt adcoms would care if you have a 3.8 at rice versus a 4.0 at texas.

6. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Go back to Taxachussets, pinko!
    Seriously, I always thought so, too. I can't see any reason to transfer other than a totally personal, visceral desire to go to Rice. And even then....

7. gaylord

gaylord Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

NOOOO! It wouldn't make any difference. UT is the best school in Texas and our football team is kicking serious ass this year! One of my best friends, who graduated UT last year, is now in medical school, on a full scholarship, at Johns Hopkins. Enjoy Austin, work extra hard, and you'll be fine. :cool:

8. synapse lapse

synapse lapse tokyo robotic
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think you should transfer for the reason of getting into med school...if you have a 4.0 at UT you will get in. If you have a 3.8 from Rice you will get in as well. I can say that I loved Rice and am from Austin with numerous friends at UT and would also love that school (mainly cause I love Austin though). I think it is clear that Rice is a better undergraduate institution than UT though, the best in the state by a long shot.

9. gaylord

gaylord Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

My previous remark about UT being the best in Texas was a bit of a stretch, I admit. I just have to much pride in my school. I love UT and I love Austin.

10. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    go to a school where you can maximize your GPA. That is all that really matters in the end.

11. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

That is all that matters to an extent. Schools do take into account an undergrad institutions quality ranking.
    What I mean is that med schools will favor undergrads based on how well students from a particular undergrad performed at their med school (in addition to the undergrad institution's overall selectivity).

So a 3.6 from Rice may look better than a 3.8 at UT.

12. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

I must second most of what Dr. Pink (what up Alex!!!!) said. UT is a great school and they definitely have alot to offer. However, the only thing I would be concerned about is the size. At UT you are nothing more than a number. At Rice, most of my profs still remember me (even the ones from the larger lower level classes) and e-mail me from time to time ( I graduated in 2004). I know for sure that I got five awesome letter of recs from my profs b/c they got to know me well over the period 4 years. I bet it is very difficult for profs at UT to get to know you as a student only b/c of the sheer size.

And the pre-med advisor at Rice is awesome (she is new but definitely knows her stuff now).

Last thing: Texas Medical Center is right across the street!!! Baylor and UT Houston are right at your doorstep.

If you do transfer to Rice I hope you get to join the Martel or Lovett family (you will learn more about the various dorms/colleges if/when you transfer).

cya!

13. jsol

jsol Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    iam gonna transfer.I cant let an opportunity to goto such a good schoolpass me by. Thanks for allof the help and go owls.Well go texas till the rose bowl then owls haha.

14. Shredder

Shredder User
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    UTs no good, go to rice. ppl probably care about school there instead of football and greek parties

theres a huge amount of research bc its a huge school, but its about quality not quantity. the top researchers go to top schools, thus they both build their reputations. there are lots of substandard faculty here and bad teachers+TAs. most grad students arent the sharpest around. big school->impersonal, get treated like a number. hard to get to know classmates and teachers=not too cool. different strokes for different folks though, thats just my perspective.

15. Shredder

Shredder User
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i disagree strongly. at rice youll meet students who are much smarter and more driven. the experience you have at college could change your life, not exaggerating. well, im all about the butterfly effect though.

GPA doesnt matter at all in the end. after applying to med school it is completely meaningless. im sad when i see ppl who only care about grades and not true learning and life experiences. but i see your point of view from a practical perspective, just wanted to comment on the philosophical end of it. still, interviewers have questioned me some about UT and i havent liked it. rice is much more highly regarded, good choice OP.

16. hobbesiscool

hobbesiscool Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Having a good GPA anywhere is fine, as long as you can show an AdCom you are challenging yourself. I kinda disagree about what some of you guys say about Rice and comparing it to UT. Granted, it is a great and renowned institution, but it's not like one can't get a high quality education at Texas A&M or UT. As far as accomplishing things in college, it is much more about what an individual makes out of a college experience, no matter where he ends up at. It's not like all our classes at A&Mare filled with 300-400 people. Once you get passed organic, most of my biological sciences have had 50-100 people and I have approached most of my professors who remember my name and continue to keep track of me even after the class is finished. And about being around driven and motivated people: I have been surrounded by some absolutely brilliant people here at A&M who have won Goldwater, Udall, Marshall, and Rhodes scholarships. But I also know people who can't get out of bed before 12 noon b/c they are so lazy. Learning to interact with different types of people gives you a different perspective on life and makes you learn to adjust and be flexible with personalities (which will be a valuable asset to have as a doctor). It's nice to be around driven people but if you are constantly in that atmosphere, it might breed overcompetitiveness and cocky attitudes. I've learned that if I want to hang out with smart people at A&M, I can (and boy, there are a lot more smart people at A&M and UT that you think there are, and just b/c they didn't go to a so-called "prestigious" undergraduate institution doesn't mean they don't have the ability to change the world).

I have a 4.0 at A&M (maybe you should just transfer to A&M! :) jk) but remember that GPA and MCAT only will initally stratify you as far as the admissions process goes. Beyond the paper application, the interview process becomes about much more than your grades and your MCAT. I know this b/c I had got an 8 in my VR section of my MCAT (which was shocking b/c I got 13-14s on my practice tests and 800 on verbal SATs) and I was really worried about how this would affect my application. But the rest of my application (research, service, leadership, clinical, academic, and athletic activities) was really solid and I think more than compensated for that. As a result, I have been blessed with an acceptance to Baylor a few days back.

To the OP, I'm glad you've made your decision to go to Rice and I'm sure you'll have a great time there and meet great people and learn from distinguished faculty, but remember that most of your college experience is what you personally make out of it, so continue to work hard even though you may be in a more prestigious environment. The motto of the game is to work hard and keep your head held high no matter where you are and things will work out for you. I'm living proof of that.

17. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can't be serious. You want a school that you will enjoy and can provide you with the opportunities you need. What's a great GPA good for if you couldn't get into someone's lab at your new school? or maybe everyone is boring and lame at one school but not the other. There's a lot more to college than that number. Besides, you could get a 4.0 because it as so easy, but then the MCAT would kick your ass.

18. Babooshka

Babooshka Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Rice sends more than 85% of its med school applicants to schools. It's not so hard to get into a med. school in Texas, plus Rice nurtures its pre-meds. Go for it.

19. Dookter

Dookter Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Go wherever you'll be happiest. But never fall into the trap of thinking you NEED Rice or any other university to get into medical school. Are there advantages to private schools? Absolutely. But in the end, at least for me, it comes down to money. I could either go to college for free AND get into medical school [which I have], or I could borrow tons of money and get into medical school. Are there things I don't like about my school or some of my classmates? Absolutely. But, hell, for $100,000 I can put up with a few minor things I don't like. I am getting a free education, free food, and free apartment. I drive a nice car b/c I didn't cost my parents a dime [and I have always attended public schools, so they never have spent money on school]. So did I need a private school? Hell no I didn't. If someone else way paying for it, would I have attended a private school? Sure, why not. Bottom line--just have fun and be happy, but never transfer schools b/c you think you need it, b/c you won't [unless there's something wrong with you that is].

20. synapse lapse

synapse lapse tokyo robotic
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, the percentage is actually higher that 95%. And about what UTPremed said, this really doesn't apply here because Rice is such a good value comparitively and they have excellent financial aid. I don't know about the OP's financial background, but I come from a relatively poor family and it was actually cheaper for me to go to Rice that it would have been to go to UT. Anyhow, hope you get in OP and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, its a great school with a lot of interesting people and profs.

21. ms1finally

ms1finally Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I think what you are forgetting is that there is a HUGE difference between attending a city university (which, if I am correct, is open to every resident of NYC) and attending Texas's flagship school.

to the OP:
    If you pull off a 3.8 at Rice/4.0 at UT, you will have MANY doors open to you (assuming you rock the MCAT as well). Rice isn't that expensive compared to other private schools, but you should take price into account. You will be paying tuition for years to come - although if you want to stay in state in Texas you wont' really need to worry. If you will be happiest at Rice, go there. If you just want to go for the name (I'm not saying it sounds like you do!), don't do it. Good luck in making your decision!

22. jsol

jsol Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have always loved the small school atmosphere at rice. UT turns me off with the how impersonal it is. I know I can maintain the GPA at rice I just am gonna have more compertition but I can deal with that. As far as finances go they re giving me some grants and work study too. So bottom line thats its going to cost 5000 more per semester which isnt too bad considering the quality of rice. I just feel like I never found the right group to fit into at UT. I will probably go and talk to some of rices advisors on tuesday to see if I can get more credit for courses in my major.Thanks for everybody's opinion.

Jsol

23. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What is your major?

24. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I need to chime in here and say GO WHERE YOU WILL BE HAPPIEST. Enjoy where you are, do interesting things, radiate joy, and when you are interviewed have great stories about how wonderful the undergrad experience has been. Most of the interviewers from other states won't even know the difference between these two schools - sorry. I graduated from UC Santa Cruz, and my interviewers kept calling the school Cal even though Cal refers to UC Berkeley which is supposedly much more prestigious... just goes to show that out in the bigger world, undergrad prestige is semi-meaningless as long as you aren't getting a degree from that University of Phoenix degree mill.

25. jsol

jsol Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well at UT I am a neurobiology major. I think I will be happier at rice due to getting more attention and not feeling like a number at UT even though it is a great school. At rice I will major in Cell Bio. I am going to houston on tuesday to talk with advisors at rice and check out the campus before I finalize things.