Underground Clinical Vignettes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nolan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering for those that have used Blackwell's underground clinical vignettes series, do you find them useful for Step 1?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody used the 2nd and 3rd edition.

Is there much difference

I'm starting to use the 2nd edition books right now but I'm a first year

I like them

$150 new is a lot of money

AK

I loved the UCVs. Used them for step 1 like this:

I had friends and family act the vignettes out. You'll be surprised how much fun it can be, for them too. AND you'll get used to hearing them say "that's what I have!" (when you're reading about Chagas' disease or Legg-Calve-Perthe's Syndrome). There'll even be some sad moments when you go through the 10-year old girl with rabies who's beyind treatment ("is there nothing we can do? Is she going to die?")

Have them read the words in bold and see if you can guess the diagnosis from just buzz-words.

I don't know, they are kind of expensive but they are diffrent and good for those times when you're sick of everything else. I bought mine used on amazon. You can get them for 5-10 dollars there.

(This refers to the 2nd edition, btw).

Originally posted by BellKicker

I had friends and family act the vignettes out. You'll be surprised how much fun it can be, for them too. AND you'll get used to hearing them say "that's what I have!" (when you're reading about Chagas' disease or Legg-Calve-Perthe's Syndrome). There'll even be some sad moments when you go through the 10-year old girl with rabies who's beyind treatment ("is there nothing we can do? Is she going to die?")

Have them read the words in bold and see if you can guess the diagnosis from just buzz-words.

I don't know, they are kind of expensive but they are diffrent and good for those times when you're sick of everything else. I bought mine used on amazon. You can get them for 5-10 dollars there.

Since when does sweden allow thier medical students to take usmle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Phar, I'm from Denmark, not Sweden. It's a whole other country.

However, I'm almost 100% sure you can take the USMLEs there, too.

Originally posted by BellKicker

Bellkicker

I've read some of your old post and have seen that you've done pretty well on step 1. How did you exactly study for step 1 and use UCV? Did you memorize all 9 books of the UCV, or only certain ones? I'm not in med school yet, but I'm just worried about not doing well on step 1 because it took me two tries on the mcat to get a decent score.
Thanks.

Hi Deuce.

I wouldn't go and memorize every word in the UCVs or, actually, any other source. I used them for down time "studying" as described above.

I used all the UCVs except microbiology vol. 2 and that was only because I couldn't get it on Amazon. In fact, if you have to choose a few, get the three pathophysiology and 2 micro books and leave the other 4, especially pharmacology and anatomy.

Good luck.

Phar:
USMLE is not offered by individual countries, per se. Rather, USMLE can be (and is) offered at most of the countries these days. Again, taking the USMLE alone doesn't equate with residency placement in the US. There are still many hurdles to be overcome, including CSA, applying for j1/h1 visas etc etc.
for further details, visit USMLE.org