Underprepared for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E-Raist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this topic has been addressed in another thread, and if so, I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

I want to apply to med school this year, although my home school (the one in the province/state I live in) requires me to take the MCAT by the application date of Sept 7th.

I'll have finished a year of biology, general chemistry, and the first half of physics at that point, which means I'll be short a year of organic chem, and the second half of physics.

I'm comfortable studying those subjects on my own, and will have two months to study for the MCAT before taking it, and had planned to take an MCAT prep course. I'm comfortable with self-study and have learned a lot that way.

After taking the MCAT, I'd take the second half of physics and year of o-chem before med school begins.

Is it reasonable to assume with an MCAT prep course and self study I'd be able to score high on the MCAT or is this simply setting myself up for failure?

Thanks in advance for your input.

-=Raistlin

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that O-chem was approximately 30% of Biological Sciences---and it isn't a science that I feel is easily-self teachable...also physics II is a lot of material. If I were you...I wouldn't risk it....make sure you have all/more of the core classes in to give you a better chance...Plus this next year will give you time to master the material. Best wishes in your decision...

I apologize in advance if this topic has been addressed in another thread, and if so, I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

I want to apply to med school this year, although my home school (the one in the province/state I live in) requires me to take the MCAT by the application date of Sept 7th.

I'll have finished a year of biology, general chemistry, and the first half of physics at that point, which means I'll be short a year of organic chem, and the second half of physics.

I'm comfortable studying those subjects on my own, and will have two months to study for the MCAT before taking it, and had planned to take an MCAT prep course. I'm comfortable with self-study and have learned a lot that way.

After taking the MCAT, I'd take the second half of physics and year of o-chem before med school begins.

Is it reasonable to assume with an MCAT prep course and self study I'd be able to score high on the MCAT or is this simply setting myself up for failure?

Thanks in advance for your input.

-=Raistlin

Do not take the MCAT before YOU are COMPLETELY ready to take it!!!!!

In your case, do not take it before successfully completing the AAMC MCAT prerequisites (i.e. 1 year of each of the following subjects: Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Organic chemistry, English and math). To take the MCAT and rely on a review course to teach you what you do not already know or have not been exposed to previously is not a good thing to do.

For the greatest opportunity for success, take the courses and TEHN take the MCAT and apply to medicalschool.

Good Luck!!!:luck:

If you could fully devote those two months to the prep course and study, and are comfortable with doing a lot of it on your own, then I'd say go for it. Physics II, which I assume is electromagnetism and optics, is about manipulating several basic formulas. You could learn these on your own/in the prep course and work a lot of problems to really understand them. A full year of Orgo would be tough, but could you get a good score with a subpar understanding? Yes, given its lesser weight.

You'd be putting yourself at a disadvantage, but if you think you can do it, go for it. My advice would be to take a full-length practice test ASAP. Maybe try to get an AAMC or take one of those promotional prep courses FLs. That way you'd see how you could do with no orgo and no physics II. This, to me, would be a good indicator. If you're about where you would like to be with the material you've had already, you should be okay. If you need serious prep for subjects you've already taken, I don't think you'll be able to do it all.