Underrepresented and/or minorities currently in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLS08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to medical school 2013, I would consider myself underrepresented. I would like any advice on applying from underrepresented students who recently graduated, current students or accepted to medical school. How did you incorporate that in your personal statement, what type of volunteer activities did you participate in or resources did you use? Any advice would help! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to medical school 2013, I would consider myself underrepresented. I would like any advice on applying from underrepresented students who recently graduated, current students or accepted to medical school. How did you incorporate that in your personal statement, what type of volunteer activities did you participate in or resources did you use? Any advice would help! Thanks
Hello RL08. As a student of color who recently got accepted to medical school, I can say that during my application process- I didn't focus much on the fact that I was a minority. I focused on the unique experiences, programs and opportunities I had partaken in since high school. A stint at a nursing home, nominations to participate in summer enrichment programs, and attaining leadership positions at various clubs in my schools certainly helped. Good luck on your application process!