Not open for further replies.

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
they coudlnt answer this in the premed forums so i hope those who have gotten accepted here perhaps can:

what is the differenc between:

Hispanic--

mexican american---

mexican, chicano---

other hispanic--

im not sure which one i am....my family is from spain--->mexico--->USA

chocomorsel

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
somewhere always warm
Status
Attending Physician
DR. EUGENIC said:
they coudlnt answer this in the premed forums so i hope those who have gotten accepted here perhaps can:

Hispanic--

mexican american---

mexican, chicano---

other hispanic--

I believe that they are all grouped under one category. Hispanic. But I could be wrong. I'm black and always remember the category of Black(non-hispanic) and Hispanic.

Jon Davis

I killed the bank.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2000
In your consciousness.
Visit site
Status
DR. EUGENIC said:

Hispanic--

mexican american---

mexican, chicano---

other hispanic--

I was watching Carlos Mencia on Conan a couple nights ago. He broke it down like this:

Hispanics - South Americans and Caribbean people. This is mainly the non-mexican spanish speaking in the western hemisphere.

Mexican American - this is obvious

Mexican chicano - A mexican national

other hispanic - other spanish speaking countries.

Again, this is coming from a Honduran-Mexican comedian. I have no knowledge of the true meanings. You never know when Conan's show comes in handy. Conan O'Brien is the king!

BTW, DO NOT CROSS POST!

About the Ads
OP
DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Jon Davis said:
I was watching Carlos Mencia on Conan a couple nights ago. He broke it down like this:

Hispanics - South Americans and Caribbean people. This is mainly the non-mexican spanish speaking in the western hemisphere.

Mexican American - this is obvious

Mexican chicano - A mexican national

other hispanic - other spanish speaking countries.

Again, this is coming from a Honduran-Mexican comedian. I have no knowledge of the true meanings. You never know when Conan's show comes in handy. Conan O'Brien is the king!

BTW, DO NOT CROSS POST!
thanks so much....based on that..which is closest for me to put on my secondaries.......light skinned....spain-->mexico--> USA...
its very troublesome..

Jon Davis

I killed the bank.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2000
In your consciousness.
Visit site
Status
DR. EUGENIC said:
thanks so much....based on that..which is closest for me to put on my secondaries.......light skinned....spain-->mexico--> USA...
its very troublesome..

Glad I could...uhhh...help. :confused:

Labslave

10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DR. EUGENIC said:
its very troublesome..
Umm...have you ever thought about which culture you identify most with? Do you even speak Spanish (if so, you'll clearly identify with one or the other considering how different the dialect is)? In my opinion, if you can't tell the difference between Spanish and Mexican cultures, you should just check the Caucasian box (because you would clearly be neither culturally...and what good would you be in a clinical setting?).

I guess this post might start a flame war, but whatever.

Jocomama

Make 'em bleed!
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
Ann Arbor, MI and Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
It depends upon where your parents were born and raised.
My father was born in Mexico, my mother in US. I was bi-linqual through age 5.5, then divorce.
I am Hispanic (mexican American)
My abuela was from Spain. However, if they had my father in Texas, then I would be Caucasion/white.

A friend at med-school with me (UIC 1988) was Hispanic (cuban american): her father was born in Cuba and her mother in the states

Be careful - it doesn't go by the grandparents.

Also - mine was on everything growing up, including Elementary,Jr high, PSAT, SAT, ACT........

Labslave said:
Umm...have you ever thought about which culture you identify most with? Do you even speak Spanish (if so, you'll clearly identify with one or the other considering how different the dialect is)? In my opinion, if you can't tell the difference between Spanish and Mexican cultures, you should just check the Caucasian box (because you would clearly be neither culturally...and what good would you be in a clinical setting?).

I guess this post might start a flame war, but whatever.

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
DR. EUGENIC said:

Hispanic--

mexican american---

mexican, chicano---

other hispanic--

This is as great set-up for an ethnic joke as I have ever seen.

Short answer: Who cares?

Longer Answer: Nothing.

A little bit longer: That fact that anybody would be pre-occupied with something like this shows how byzantine and corrupt racial politics have become.

OP
DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Brainsucker said:
Where where your parents born? Where were you born? Where did you grow up?

my parents were both born in the states but growing up we always traveled back to mexico to visit family (grand father)......meaning i am half (hispanic, mexican american etc.)...............i know i read that it doesnt matter about if your grandparents were? someone told me to put it down since being half URM helps.......any advice

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Hi there,
This is a duplicate of a thread in pre-allo, therefore, I am closing. Go there and comment.

njbmd :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Ads