Underserved populations of healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byeh2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When people talk about the "underserved populations" in healthcare, what kind of people are they talking about? I think its the uninsured, minorities, but is there anyone else in this category?

Members don't see this ad.

Rural populations.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm is it just rural population?

I believe so. I remember seeing a program in my state for the underserved communities and all the counties with large cities were disqualified. And the cities had plenty of minorities/uninsured/etc.

really...i thought ghettos were included too. dunno about barrios but i would assume as much

Many inner-city areas are also considered underserved.

The National Health Services Core offers tuition repayment and other incentives to practice in underserved areas. Here is a list of the positions posted within the last 30 days. All are in underserved areas by the NHSC criteria.

You can use this link to search for a specific specialty and/or a specific region.

byeh2004 said:
When people talk about the "underserved populations" in healthcare, what kind of people are they talking about? I think its the uninsured, minorities, but is there anyone else in this category?

Although it is common to find underserved populations to have low incomes, minimal insurance, and highly minority, none of these are the criteria that define a population as underserved.

An underserved population is simply defined as a population that does not have full access to health care, as compared to the general population.

The access may be limited due to physician shortage, lack of insurance, lack of education, or other socioeconomic factors.

I think it might also include things like the Indian Health Services and Reservations, as well as like Alaska.

Hey I have a question, what is the term used for the area in medicine for medically serving under-served communities? is it called "community medicine" or is it something else?