Understanding NRMP statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was trying to understand the statistics in these tables (file attached).

So lets take the program UAB-Birmingham Anesthesiology -

Anesthesiology 1007040A0 12 12 19 19 18 18 16 16 16 16

The first number is the quota, and the second is 'matched'. Each set represents a year from 2005-2009 (i.e. 12 12 are for 2005, 19 19 for 2006 and so on).

So why is there a different quota each year?

Does it mean that the program has a maximum of 19 seats per year, but they chose to only put 12 up for the match (and not take 7 additional candidates that year)?

Or does it mean they still took 19 residents that year, but offered 7 out-of-the-match positions?

Or something else :)?

Just trying to make sense out of this. Any opinions would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• programresults2005-2009.pdf
    772.6 KB · Views: 170
Several possibilities may account for the variation:

1. Prematches
2. Transfers -- residents in other fields deciding to switch to anesthesia.
3. Varying numbers of residents in the upper level classes for any reason. ACGME caps are usually set for the total program, so if there are less upper levels you can take more lower levels, and vice versa.
4. Varying funding -- if some of the spots are funded through mechanisms other than Medicare/GME funding, that might vary.

Several possibilities may account for the variation:

1. Prematches
2. Transfers -- residents in other fields deciding to switch to anesthesia.
3. Varying numbers of residents in the upper level classes for any reason. ACGME caps are usually set for the total program, so if there are less upper levels you can take more lower levels, and vice versa.
4. Varying funding -- if some of the spots are funded through mechanisms other than Medicare/GME funding, that might vary.

Thanks..thats very helpful (and so was the poem on the other thread ;)..loved it).

Is it legit to ask the reason for this during the interview, or will that be treading on a sticky ground?

Thanks..thats very helpful (and so was the poem on the other thread ;)..loved it).

Is it legit to ask the reason for this during the interview, or will that be treading on a sticky ground?
I woudn't. Would the answer really change your mind about the program? Because there is some chance that the PD could feel uncomofrtable about it, if it's pre-matches. Unless you're looking for a pre-match. At which point, it might be simpler to just ask.

I wouldn't. Would the answer really change your mind about the program? Because there is some chance that the PD could feel uncomfortable about it, if it's pre-matches. Unless you're looking for a pre-match. At which point, it might be simpler to just ask.

Hello. I've not heard of pre-matching; can you tell us a little more about that? How does it work? Is it a good thing? If I know I really really want to go to one program, no doubt my first choice, is there a way to apply for it? Thank you very much -- 2S4MS

Hello. I've not heard of pre-matching; can you tell us a little more about that? How does it work? Is it a good thing? If I know I really really want to go to one program, no doubt my first choice, is there a way to apply for it? Thank you very much -- 2S4MS

Much has been written about it, if you run a search on the forum. Basic point: current American med students can't do it, foreign grads and AMGs can (I guess?). Its basically an agreement between you and the program that you will join them and not leave your fate to the match.

Again, you will probably get more than I can write here if you do a search.

The biggest issue is - Can you get a better program than the one that offers you a prematch? And can the program get someone better than you?

In my knowledge, almost none of the top 25 programs I know offer a prematch (in IM). Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

In response to aPD - I know its stretching it a bit, and yes, it will make the PD uncomfortable, but wouldnt it be good to know if residents have left the program, and that could open up a discussion into that, instead of asking it up front? of course, one could always say that we can ask the current residents the same question :).

But point conveyed - probably best not to enter this sticky territory during the interview, and hence the reason to ask this on the forum :).

In response to aPD - I know its stretching it a bit, and yes, it will make the PD uncomfortable, but wouldnt it be good to know if residents have left the program, and that could open up a discussion into that, instead of asking it up front? of course, one could always say that we can ask the current residents the same question :).

But point conveyed - probably best not to enter this sticky territory during the interview, and hence the reason to ask this on the forum :).

Conversation is an art. I firmly believe you can ask anybody anything if you word it correctly. In addition, if you want the best answer it's always best to ask the said individual. Don't forget you are interviewing the program as much as they are interviewing you. Another way to figure out if resident have left is view their current residents and compare it to the NRMP statistics and you can figure out how many have left. Sometimes the answer will be that a resident got ill. Off-hand, I know of one individual who left a 3yr residency program with 8months short, b/c they had GBS...so not a sticky territory here to ask at all. Also, PD's know how to answer this question and all "sticky" questions. The typical answer for an unmatched program is we leave one seat available on purpose so we can get the best qualified applicant through the scramble, we like to pick up the unmatched ortho, derm candidate...thereby one can infer the program has high standards and won't rank low-candidates. Another way to get at this question is how many ppl applied and how many are interviewing and how many do you rank. My upper-levels say this information is given out freely, although I have a firm policy of not comparing myself to others and competing soley with myself, so those are questions I just wouldn't ask.

Do you have any upper-levels you can communicate with or a school counsellor or something? Ask there too, they will give you good advice...my counsellor sends out weekly mails (annoying, but wonderful)!

G'luck,
A