Understanding the step 1 cutoffs and averages on FRIEDA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bassurgery

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am applying to surgery and on FRIEDA, there are several cases where the minimum step 1 cut-off for interview is 230, but the average step 1 score of current residents is listed as 226-235. How is this possible? I am just trying to make sure I cover all my bases and understanding before submitting my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Good question, following. And any programs in particular?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

So I am applying to surgery and on FRIEDA, there are several cases where the minimum step 1 cut-off for interview is 230, but the average step 1 score of current residents is listed as 226-235. How is this possible? I am just trying to make sure I cover all my bases and understanding before submitting my application.
My understanding is that it’s their “cutoff” so they can use it as an excuse to filter quicker. You hear all the time about how “lower scores will be considered depending on quality of applicant”. They have to look at all of em, they just go a lot quicker on some with filters

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question, following. And any programs in particular?

One example - Medical University of South Carolina. There step 1 score minimum is 230, but their average step 1 range is 226-235.

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is that it’s their “cutoff” so they can use it as an excuse to filter quicker. You hear all the time about how “lower scores will be considered depending on quality of applicant”. They have to look at all of em, they just go a lot quicker on some with filters
I do hear about this. I also have heard that it's outdated. It's hard to say I guess. I am just trying to avoid wasting money lol

well, is it possible that their current pool of applicants has lower scores, but they "raised the bar" since then? just the thought, i am just an M2 though, so take it with grain of salt.

I highly doubt it.

Use residency explorer instead and put in your stats and it will tell you your percentile based on people that have matched in recent years.

The information on FRIEDA isn't worth the pixels it was typed with. I've seen programs that say average Step 1 >240 and then on the program website they state their average Step 1 was 229. I'd use FRIEDA only as a database for sorting programs by geography. Any information you want about a program will be on their specific website.

Reactions: 3 users
Have also heard that Frieda is quite useless. One possibility for lower average than cutoff could be connections tho. While they may use the cutoff as filter, a call from mentor or connections to the program (home student etc) could lead to reconsideration of the app following their filter.

I'm pretty sure averages are just categories that the programs select from. (So like a multiple choice form, Option A is <225, Option B is 226-235, Option C is 236-245 etc...). So it's possible a program only looks at applicants who have a 230 or above (unless you somehow get their attention), and has an average Step 1 score of say, 234. That would put them in the 226-235 category. It's also possible they don't really care about their minimum cutoff and are only putting it there to try and raise their stats or to lower the number of applications they have to sort through?

Reactions: 1 users